25 days to go: Rest and Recovery

February 10th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, nut-free, raw, Recipes, Snacks, sugar-free, Wellness · Comments
I have adjusted my training schedule to accommodate other commitments over the past week which resulted in 7 days of running without a rest/cross-training day. My legs definitely noticed.
So, today I rested. I went to a meeting at the Toronto Vegetarian Association, walked, talked and ate soup. It was lovely.
I’m a huge advocate of activity. I believe that we should appreciate the opportunities we have to move (take the stairs, stroll the boardwalk, carry groceries). By asking our bodies to do these tasks on a regular basis we encourage longevity. After reading John Robbins Healthy at 100 it was obvious to me that we need to push ourselves to be active as much as possible if we want to have the option down the road. But exercise can also stress and strain our systems. Sleep and rest are an integral part of a well-balanced life. If I listen, my body is very clear about when more attention to rest is required. Today is one of those days.

In addition to sleep there are other things we can do to increase our bodies rate of recovery. Limiting nutritional stress by consuming a healthy, vegan diet certainly helps. Including a daily dose (1 tsp) of Macain your can also support your adrenal glands and hormonal balance. This is a suggestion made by Brendan Brazier and I have decided to give it a try during my training for this race.

Maca is a root vegetable cultivated in Peru. Studies have shown that it is an adaptogen. It promotes the regeneration of muscle tissue, eliminates sugar cravings (by curtailing the impact of stress) and helps you to stick with your training regime.
You can add maca to your diet in a number of ways. I find it easiest to just add a tsp to a flavourful, green smoothie such as this one:
Tonight I consumed a green smoothie at the TVA meeting. It contained:
1 tsp maca
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 banana
1 ambrosia apple (cored)
half a bunch of parsley
1 date
and enough water to get things moving in my blender.
Now I just need to get away from my computer and crawl into bed to realize the rest portion of this recovery equation.
Do any of you consume maca? Are there other superfoods you have integrated into your diet?
Today’s Totals:
Walk: 2 hours (leisurely)
Fun: Spending time with friends discussing future ventures for spreading veganism in Toronto!

1. Posted February 10, 2010 at 11:15 pm

We love our maca! We have it everyday!!! :)
    Pure2Raw Twins

2. Posted February 11, 2010 at 12:44 am

I use maca occasionally but certainly not on a regular basis. The flavor is a bit off-putting to me, but maybe I was using too much (more like a tbsp). However, chocolate is a perfect counterpart to maca, which I discovered when I made raw cacao maca ice cream!

3. Posted February 11, 2010 at 6:38 am

I was going to ask you about your drink! Now I know.. jason loves green juices, now we have something new to try.

4. Posted February 11, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hey Twins, how do you enjoy your maca? Do you add it to smoothies?

a-k,
    maca certainly has a discernible flavour. I would suggest cutting back on the quantity a bit (this stuff isn't cheap anyway!). Is the raw cacao maca ice cream recipe on your blog? I would like to try it this weekend.

angela,
    lovely to see you last night. I think we should find a way to rendezvous more often!

5. Posted February 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Hey Lisa

I was going to pick up some maca tonight but the place I was looking had two different kinds – two diff. colours (one was red, and the other…?). Anyway, I'm wondering – do you know if it matters what kind you get in terms of adrenal support?

Thanks! Colleen

6. Posted February 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Colleen,

I've never seen the red maca-mine is a beige powder. The research has been done on the gelatinous version of maca rather than the powder so that would be your best bet. However, I've only ever seen it sold as a powder in Toronto. I'll let you know if I find any information about the red powder you found.

See you soon!
    Lisa

7. Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

I love Maca! Glad you got a chance to try it.