Am I nuts or is making raw white chocolate just good sense?

March 30th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, raw, Recipes, sugar-free, Sweet · Comments

I was on the phone with my Mom the other day, chatting about life, and she asked me what I was up to. I said I was just pulling some vegan white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies out of the oven. Given the elusive nature of vegan white chocolate, my Mom asked where I had found it. I said “I made it”.

She was shocked. “What do you mean, you made it”.
I was confused by the question, “I melted some raw cacao butter, added ground cashews, some vanilla and agave and let it set in the freezer” (stated with annoyance at the obviousness of this recipe).
“You’re nuts” was the response.

This is not the first time that my sanity has been called into question but the reality is, raw, vegan white chocolate is incredibly easy to make at home. It is not a cheap venture, but less expensive then purchasing pre-made vegan white chocolate (on the rare occasion that you find some). You do need to have raw cacao butter on hand. I expect this is not a pantry staple for many but if you happen to stock it because you enjoy creating raw vegan cheesecakes and other decadent treats (to impress all of those people who think a vegan diet is about deprivation and despair) then this is an excellent way to use up any excess.

This is what the white chocolate looked like after I chopped it into chunks, to use in my cookie batter (yes, it is balanced on a bike seat…I needed the window light).

Raw Vegan White Chocolate

1/2 cup melted raw cacao butter (place it in a bowl of hot water until it becomes liquid)
1/2 cup ground raw cashews
1 tsp vanilla bean (extract or powder)
1/4 cup raw agave syrup (if you keep it in the fridge give it some time on the counter to warm up so it won’t cause the cacao butter to solidify too quickly).

Stir everything together in a bowl. Pour into a 8×8 brownie pan. Place in your freezer for about an hour. Cut/break into chunks. (See, easy!)

Add to a favourite recipe or enjoy as is at the end of a long day.

Dreena’s White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies (for Jeremy)

With Easter approaching, I’m working on another care package to send down to Orlando and Jeremy specifically requested a batch of these fantastic cookies. Dreena Burton is the most reliable source I have found for amazing vegan baking recipes (although, Ricki Heller continues to impress me). I found the ideal recipe in Dreena’s book, Eat, Drink and Be Vegan to satisfy Jeremy’s cookie craving. Her recipe calls for a short list of natural ingredients and requires just 11 minutes in the oven. On top of making the white chocolate, I did actually have to buy flour and 2 tbsp of organic evaporated cane juice as I don’t typically stock those items in my kitchen (crazy? Maybe!).

Dreena did not let me down. Even though I haven’t been baking traditional treats these days the results were incredible. I know they will provide some joy to a lovely boy in Florida.

What have you made that had others questioning your well-being?

What would you request in a care package?

As a quick update, Tracy received her prize package and reported that she really enjoyed the raw macaroons. She even saved some to celebrate her 30 km run! I am almost finished reading Becoming Raw (it is seriously packed with information). I can’t wait to share what I’ve learned with all of you.

April will be full of nutrition tips, recipe ideas and training updates. I plan to post daily so I hope you’ll all be along for the ride (run and swim).

1. Posted March 30, 2010 at 6:58 pm

raw white chocolate = yum! Looks great!
    Pure2Raw twins

2. Posted March 30, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I *really really* enjoyed the raw macaroons! They were the perfect recovery snack. Thank you so much for the package, it was such a treat.

The white chocolate looks delicious – I never would have thought it was easy to make. I'll have to keep my eyes out for raw cacao butter.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your training too! 🙂

3. Posted March 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm

One Easter I made a recipe of Dreena's for which I specifically ordered vegan white chocolate chips online. "Nicer" Krispie Squares. Dreena's version of healthier Rice Crispie Treats, to which I added the optional pistachios, white choc chips and dried cranberries. These were absolutely amazing. Everyone loved them. I am moving to more raw and unprocessed myself now, but if I want to do cooked, Dreena's recipes are definitely my "go to". Thanks for sharing your white chocolate recipe. I happen to love white chocolate. I confess I ordered 2 bags of the chips that year, and one whole bag was consumed plain out of the bag. Lol.

4. Posted March 31, 2010 at 9:59 am

Honestly, with the price of some of these items and the rarity, I think one would be crazy NOT to make them at home! My hubby has called my sanity into question on too many occasions to count. . . the most recent being my homemade vegan mayo.

Your chocolate looks DIVINE and I am going out to buy some cacao butter asap! And thank you so much for the shout out–in the next sentence after Dreena! (She's my baking idol) 😀

5. Posted March 31, 2010 at 10:52 am

Hi, Lisa! I *do* happen to have some raw cocoa butter on hand and (apart from putting it on my hands-the stuff is fab for homemade cosmetics) have been wondering what to do with it. Any other recipe ideas?

Thanks!!

6. Posted March 31, 2010 at 8:23 pm

droooool!

7. Posted April 1, 2010 at 12:43 am

Raw white chocolate just sounds impressive even if the recipe is deceptively simple.

Cocoa butter has be on my list of raw ingredients to purchase, so maybe I can try this soon.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

8. Posted April 1, 2010 at 5:46 am

I am so glad that you all enjoyed the recipe and confirmed that it is a perfectly rational decision to make your own vegan white chocolate.

It seems that Dreena still reigns as our guru for delicious vegan desserts. I also love that her recipes do not call for white sugar or white flour. Ricki, I have not made a recipe from Sweet Freedom that didn't blow people away. I just need to find more people to bake for so that I don't eat everything myself.

It was great to hear from all of you. I hope you're enjoying the spring weather and counting down the days until seasonal farmers markets!

9. Drew Silverthorn
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I bought some cacao at the TVA Festival today! Totally making this when Luke and I move into the new place next weekend. It has been quite sometime since i had white chocolate!