C’est tout, Tutti Frutti!

April 30th, 2010 · Lisa · product review, Review, Wellness · Comments

Thirty days ago I shared with all of you my realization that the raw vegan diet I was following was not meeting my nutritional needs. When I first focused on a high raw diet, I experienced a great boost in energy, easy weight loss and a new sense of mental clarity. But after a few years my body fat percentage was sitting around 12%, I had not had a period in years, my appetite was weak and my skin was dry and cracking. I didn’t feel sick. I was running endurance races, achieving at work and very active in my community but people often commented on how “tiny” I looked.

I decided a few months ago that I was going to focus on my health and creating a life full of joy. So when Becoming Raw arrived in my mailbox I knew I had the tools I needed to reevaluate my food choices. I devoured the nutritional information that Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina had painstakingly compiled. I started to understand how to design a diet that celebrated the health promoting properties of produce and provided all of the vitamins and minerals in a way that my body could absorb and use.

Since then, I have really enjoyed sharing recipes, menus and interesting information with all of you. I have really appreciated your words of support and wisdom throughout the month. I know the internet can be a weird and wacky place but it can also create connections and community never imagined in the pre-digital age. Thank you for your comments…they mean a lot.

So, on this last day of April, I bring you the last recipe in Becoming Raw: Tutti Frutti (aka my niece and nephews’ favourite soft-serve).

This is my one-serving version. Take one frozen, ripe banana. Put it in your food processor (a blender or Champion Juicer can also be used).

Pulse to break up the banana, add a cup of frozen blueberries (or mango, strawberry, raspberry, etc). Feel free to add any other flavours you enjoy – I added a little vanilla extract. The blueberry banana combo would also taste great with a little cardamon or lavender.

Process until it reaches a perfectly smooth soft-serve texture.

Top with your favourite sundae garnishes – shredded coconut, cocoa nibs, goji berries, chopped dates, nuts, or seeds.

Savour the simple, satisfying sweetness of this delicious treat.

Since you stuck with me to the end, I wanted to share 5 tips I gleaned from a month focused on Becoming Raw:

1. It is hard to honour your body’s needs during 8 hour meetings – I wish health came first in our society, but it doesn’t. So, pack snacks, use the washroom when you can, and practice yogic breathing when life demands more then you think you can give.
  2. I need to eat greens at least twice a day. I now add them to smoothies, salads, soups, and underneath any entree.
  3. I need to add whole-food sources of fats to my meals – ground flax, hemp seeds, avocados, almonds and walnuts have all found a newly cherished spot in my diet.
  4. I love adding warming spices like cinnamon and ginger to my everyday eats. These flavours simply make my meals more enjoyable.
  5. My health is worth the cost of good food, the energy required for exercise and the intention to get a good night’s sleep.

Did you pick up any nuggets of knowledge from the last 30 posts? or from your own learning about healthy living?

In May I will continue to post vegan recipes (oven made flax crackers and flax pancake variations are already on the list) and training updates but I’m also going to focus on sharing the moments that bring me joy. Each post will include a “May’d me Smile” moment. If you have a blog and you want to do the same I would love to see the blogosphere flooded by little reminders of all the Awesome Things that happen in the world.

There will be some Giveaways in the near future so stayed tuned!

1. Posted April 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I am glad the book helped you. I am looking forward to reading it myself. I have found greens so important in my life and i will never give them up!

the ice cream looks great too.

2. Posted April 30, 2010 at 11:17 pm

You've inspired me to check this book out with your dedicated and thorough posts. I hope, most of all, that you found yourself improved after taking inventory of your life and diet with all the information you have learned! Thanks for your month of "Becoming Raw"!

3. Posted April 30, 2010 at 11:34 pm

I LOVE your idea for May. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the posts that are generated by your idea. I've got some freshly ground flax seed in my freezer awaiting your flax pancake recipes.

I love consuming greens, and I need to focus more energy on including more of them. Just restocked my hemp seeds this evening, and I also purchased some hemp seed butter for the first time in quite awhile. I love eating it on a banana or blending some up in a smoothie. No question, I too need to focus on getting better sleep. I know my personal well-being would be greatly enhanced if I just stuck to a regular schedule for retiring and getting up.

Thank YOU for all the great information you share with us. I always look forward to your posts.

4. Posted May 1, 2010 at 7:53 am

Yes, of course I gleaned many nuggets of knowledge from your posts!

Why am I always repeating myself, but some of the highlights of knowledge for me that have already had an impact on my eating habits have been:

the simple cut up banana recipe

learning different ways to incorporate more nuts into my diet

the fact that hemp seeds have the right balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids

learning about the other mango (what's it called again? altufo?)

learning about orthorexia

that bok choy is high in calcium

Thank you!

5. Posted May 1, 2010 at 7:59 am

P.S I don't have a blog, but perhaps I'll try to put in effort to take more pictures on a daily or few times weekly basis of things that bring me joy and use my flickr site as a quasi-blog for the month of May. :)

flickr.com/photos/saguarostrength

6. Posted May 1, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I really enjoy reading about your raw journey! And of course I love the soft serve 😉

I think the May'd Me Smile idea is brilliant–I've been needing a little pick-me-up the last few days and I think I've found it. I used to keep a gratitude journal years ago, and this is a perfect way to get back to that. Thanks, Lisa! 😀

7. Posted May 2, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Bitt – have you started reading Becoming Raw yet?

a-k – I'm so glad you enjoyed the posts. I'm feeling happier and healthier then I did 30 days ago.

Mindy – I promise the flax recipe is coming soon. I hope things have improved in your neighbourhood – it sounds like the clean up has been pretty extensive.

Barbee – I'm happy to hear you got something out of my posts. I really appreciated your comments throughout the month.

Ricki – your posts are always so thoughtful. I keep thinking about your recent post on relationships – I just loved it and replay it my mind. I hope you'll find lots of moments in May to celebrate.