Eat Your Greens!

April 13th, 2010 · Lisa · book review, Review · Comments

Wow, it has been a really long day. I’ve been out of my house for 16 hours today.

I had a very busy day at work, followed by a 2 hour walk to a 3 hour triathlon training class and then a subway commute home – to get my blog post up!

It is days like this when I reflect on the perception of a vegan diet as being time consuming and difficult to manage in a busy life. I really enjoy cooking and often spend a great deal of time in my kitchen but that is entirely my choice. I could easily meet my dietary needs for interesting and delicious food with very little prep time.

Today I consumed:
2 bananas topped with some orange-ginger-cherry buckwheat granola;
A very large apple for my morning snack;
A great big salad with tomatoes, and avocado for lunch – followed by a mini moon pie (testing for the contest this weekend);
A sweet, juicy grapefruit in the afternoon;
A cup of snap peas;
A big green smoothie for dinner (kale, mango, banana and cinnamon); and
When I got home I grabbed another banana, some mango and a little granola.

It wasn’t my best planned day but I got in a massive amount of greens, fruits and veggies. I maintained my energy throughout the day and met most of my nutritional requirements when I was away from home and on the go.

On pg 240 of Becoming Raw the authors share their 10 tips for Optimum Health.

Number 2 is making calcium-rich, low-oxalate greens the backbone of every day’s menu

If you’re trying to increase your consumption of greens and still maintain your busy life I highly suggest green smoothies (because you can prepare them ahead of time) and marinated salads because they get better with a little time to hang out in the fridge.

Green Smoothies are easy to personalize to your tastes. I love kale so that is my green of choice. I also like the addition of banana for the creamy texture and a few spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to keep it interesting. That combination is a great base and you can add other fruit as I did today with the amazing Altufo mango I had on hand.

This Kale Salad with Orange-Ginger Dressing can be made a day in advance, wilting the kale leaves enough to soften its texture, making it more palatable to those none-kale obsessed people. This is my favourite recipes from Davis and Melina that I’ve tried so far. I really loved the orange, ginger and kale combination.

Training Update:
I didn’t get a chance to actually train today although I listened to a lot of people talk about training. I’m hoping to get a good run in tomorrow and I’ve got a lot of thinking to do about my training in the coming months after the information I collected today.

How often do you consume dark leafy greens? Do you prefer them in salads, soups or smoothies?

Do you have a favourite green smoothie combination?

What’s your most reliable, tasty to-go meal?

Have you ever done a triathlon? Do you have a desire to give it a try?

1. Posted April 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm

more moon pie competition! i love it!

my green intake varies somewhat depending on my sprouting cycle and if i drink greens in my juice or not. lately i always have a green smoothie and big salad and often wheatgrass and green juice. i love my greens!

2. Posted April 13, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I enjoy green smoothies, green juices and salads. I've found a few green soups I enjoy also, though I don't do those as often. My favorite green smoothie is: 2 mangoes, 1 bunch of cilantro, and 2 cups of water. Bright electric green, creamy, and very refreshing. I like to use herbs. I've also used basil and peppermint in green smoothies and enjoyed it.

My favorite salad is one I found in Ani Phyo's book. I believe it's called confetti salad. I love it, and so do my Mom and sister (I've made it for them several times). The greens are: lacinato kale, romaine or red leaf lettuce, and red cabbage.(Ani likes to use different textures of greens in her salads, I enjoy that also.) You add walnuts and dress it with a fabulous orange-cucumber dressing, and then garnish with cherries. I've made this at all different times of year. When cherries are out of season, I've used dried cherries or dried cranberries and enjoyed it both ways. (As an aside, I feel really good these days about eating red cabbage. I get Victoria Boutenko's newsletters. She sent one last year touting some new study on red cabbage that determined it had just as much healthy antioxidants as acai, and other berries! And it's very affordable and really fills you up.) I made this salad on Easter Sunday. I couldn't get the kale, so used collards instead, and that was really good too. My Mom and sister thought the collards were a little milder than the kale and preferred that.

My favorite green juice uses one bunch of dandelion greens and several granny smith apples, and sometimes a little ginger. It feels very healing and medicinal to me when I drink it, and it tastes really good to me too! I've added spices before as you do, and enjoyed it; however, lately I seem to most enjoy really clean tasting green beverages with only 2 or 3 ingredients.

3. Posted April 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Well, just read over my comment and thought I should clarify something. I mentioned using basil and peppermint in green smoothies. Just wanted to say, I didn't use them in the same smoothie! Don't know how that would be. I put fresh peppermint in a smoothie with kale, pears and cucumber – super refreshing when it's warm out (I live in Louisiana, so it's warm a lot, when it's not plain blistering hot!)

Lisa, I don't know if you've ever visited Ingrid's site: http://www.rawepicurean.net. She shares some unusual recipes. Last year she mentioned enjoying a smoothie of basil and bananas, blended together with some water. Basically a green smoothie, but basil is the only green. I tried it in the summer, when I had an abundance of basil growing in a large pot. I was surprised that I really liked it.

Boy, you really caught me with this post on greens. How talkative I've become!

4. Posted April 14, 2010 at 6:04 am

Lisa, your salads always look so appetizing!

I second your green smoothie combo, I love kale and bananas together.

I've done a triathlon and a duathlon. They were both a lot of fun. I find it easier to fit run training into my life, so I focus on that and use swimming and cycling as cross-training options. Enjoy your training!

5. Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:09 am

I try to eat greens every day but some days just don't make it. This salad sounds like a perfect way to get those greens in! Love raw kale in any dish. :)

6. Posted April 14, 2010 at 10:34 am

Hmmm Everything sounds delectable!

Cheers,
    Kristen

7. Posted April 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Today I have finally accepted the fact that while I like a variety of dark leafy greens in things like smoothies and soups and dips, the only green that I like in salads is kale. Straight up, raw kale. I had such a salad today and for the first time EVER, really enjoyed a salad. I'm a little irritated that it took me this long to figure that one out.

I like my greens everywhere. In smoothies, any combination is good, as long as there's a banana to make it creamy!

No to the triathalon.

8. Posted April 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm

bitt,
    I've had wheatgrass but have never made it a regular part of my routine. Do you notice a boost in energy when you take it?

Mindy,
    I love Ani Phyo and all of her recipes. I have a podcast interview set up with her on her next book. I can't wait to see it. The recipes in Becoming Raw have contributed to an increase in my red cabbage consumption. I'm happy to hear it is so nutrient dense. Like you, I love playing with herbs in my green smoothies (cilantro, basil and mint) and Ingrid's site!

Tracy, I'm using a similar training focus…I don't know that I'd ever do a triathlon. It is quite an investment in equipment but I'm enjoying more variety in my training plan.

Ricki,
    I know you have lots of amazing ways to incorporate greens. Your site is full of fantastic recipes.

Kristen,
    Thanks for stopping by, I bet this salad would be just as amazing with your cayenne tahini dressing.

Colleen,
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life! We need to plan our next dinner date.

9. Posted April 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I definitely don't consume enough dark, leafy greens. I do like them and would like to consume more. Between me and Robby we only go through 1-2 heads of lettuce and 1-2 heads of spinach/kale/chard a week. I find it so hard to fit all the foods I love into my diet on a regular basis! There are lots of vegetables and legumes that I really love, like sweet potatoes and squash that sometimes I realize I haven't had in weeks because I just forgot about them. There just isn't enough room, leading back to my wish that it was healthy just to eat all the time and not get full or overweight. :)

P.S That ginger/orange salad looks and sounds amazing!