Glorious Green Goop

April 5th, 2010 · Lisa · book review, Review · Comments

After yesterday’s post I know that many of you agree that dark green veggies have super powers (although, I think the canned spinach that Popeye depended on suffered a little in the processing). But nutrient-dense dynamos are not limited to vegetables. One extraordinary green “fruit” (I know, it is a bit confusing but it is biologically a fruit) is the avocado. I’m sure you are all already devoted fans.

Although most people recognize the benefits of the monounsaturated fats in avocados, they are less aware of the amazing array of other nutrients and phytochemicals this fruit provides. Avocados are an excellent source of folate, potassium (even better than bananas), vitamin C, vitamin E, antioxidants and fibre (13.5 grams per medium avocado). The plant sterols in avocados inhibit cholesterol absorption, reduce blood cholesterol and reduce tumour growth (according to current studies).

With all that goodness, avocados also give dips, soups, smoothies and desserts a rich, creamy texture that satisfies our craving for fat. You probably know that humans think fat=delicious. You can find lots of recipes that use avocados on my blog’s recipe index including: Avocado Collard Dip and Avocado Chocolate Mousse.

My ex-boyfriend often reminds me of the day when we were putting away groceries in the kitchen and he saw me kiss the avocado. It was just a peck. I think he was jealous of my adoration for this versatile fruit. What can I say, when I love something I just can’t keep it to myself. When I learned that my diet was devoid of health promoting fats, I turned back to my old friend (the avocado not the ex).

Avocados are one the best foods to include in your diet as a whole food source of fat. It is unique because it is rich in both fats and fibre unlike other sources such as cold pressed oils and raw nuts. The Avocado Dip (pg. 269) in Becoming Raw also includes B12 boosting nutritional yeast, making it an excellent dip to pair with raw veggies, flax crackers or stirred into lightly steamed veggies to compliment their nutritional profile.

Training Update: This month’s focus on building my fitness base with a lot of cross training continues. I spent 48 minutes (that’s how long the new episode of Vegetarian Food For Thought podcast lasted) pedalling away on a stationary bike. I focused on keeping the RPMs above 100 and played with the levels between 10 and 7. I have learned to keep my mind set on lifting my knees rather than pushing down on the pedals. That technique keeps up my speed and limits the pressure on my knees. After a quick shower I took advantage of a day off and the 20 degree weather to stroll the city streets.

How do you express your love for food?

Have you tried avocados in both sweet and savoury applications? Any favourite recipes?

I’m back at work tomorrow and facing my first weekday 10k since the half-marathon. I hope my avocado intake will boost my motivation to keep moving.

1. Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I'm going to try your collard avocado dip! I have all the ingredients right now…I have to say, you are slowly but surely on your way to convincing me I need to get Becoming Raw. I looked over it in a Barnes & Noble store not too long ago. It just looked like TOO MUCH information, and TOO MANY details. Of course, that idea may have been heightened by the fact that I basically scanned over the whole book in less than half an hour. Anyway, I'm following closely along with you. We'll see what I decide in the end.

2. Posted April 6, 2010 at 7:29 am

Melinda,

Please let me know what you think of the dip. It came together simply based on what I had on hand but I was really happy with the result.

Becoming Raw is full of information. I would say it is more of a reference book then a novel. I hope you continue to enjoy the posts – I will do my best to pull out interesting tidbits without overwhelming people with the nutritional science stuff.

3. Posted April 6, 2010 at 8:41 am

That is hilarious about kissing the avo! I think my HH is sometimes jealous of my love of food, too (not to mention my love of The Girls). 😉 What a fabulous book–can't wait to get my copy!

4. Posted April 6, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I'm sure my partner thinks my food love is a bit excessive – but she's happy to eat it all!

I love avocados in all ways: in green smoothies, as "frosting" or raw key lime pie filling, and in everything Mexican. I'm working on a recipe for avocado enchiladas actually! Avocados are probably one of my favorite foods!

5. Posted April 6, 2010 at 9:31 pm

a-k,

Avocado enchiladas…yes please! I'm glad your partner understands your avocado adoration. I know she benefits from the amazing meals you create…I've seen the pictures.

6. Posted April 6, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I'm so glad you posted this because I just tried a new avocado recipe yesterday that was amazing and now definitely qualifies as one of my favourites!

It was Southwestern Pasta Salad with Avocado-Serrano Dressing from Quick Fix Vegetarian.

First of all – it truly was a quick fix! All the ingredients for the dressing blended in the food processor and an onion chopped up, thrown into a bowl of pasta and pinto beans.

Second – the dressing was so creamy and a perfect combination of spice with lime juice. Mmmmm. I did double the serrano from 1 to 2 because I always find Robin Robertson's recipes too mild for me. Also, coincidentally it called for a jicama!!! But I didn't have any. 🙁 Next time!

7. Posted April 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Avocados are amazing! Lately I've been enjoying really ripe avocado mixed with some cacao & agave as a chocolate pudding. Yum!!

8. Posted April 8, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Ash,

I love the combination of avocado and chocolate. It is such a healthful way to indulge.

Barbee,
    I'm so glad you've found a delicious new way to appreciate the avocado.