Hopped up on Hemp

April 3rd, 2010 · Lisa · book review, Review · Comments

My city is certainly hopping today. I’m not sure if it is the resurgence in hemp’s popularity, the amazing spring weather or an over consumption of Easter treats that is filling the streets with smiling people. Regardless of the cause, I’m excited that my fellow urban dwellers are emerging from hibernation and hitting the trails, boardwalks and patios.

I’ve noticed a surge in my own energy as a result of increasing my vitamin D stores (by strolling around the city) and ensuring my essential fatty acid consumption is in balance. You’ve probably heard a lot about Omega-3 fatty acids over the last few years. It has become a media darling and added to pretty much every processed food, just so it could be mentioned on the label.

In case you’re confused by the terminology, essential fatty acids (EFAs) are those required for our survival that cannot be created in our bodies. The foods we eat must provide these EFAs for our bodies to use in building our brains, nervous system and cell membranes. Omega-3 is one of these fatty acids as is the much maligned Omega-6. We need both, but they need to be consumed in a 1:2 to 1:4 ratio (so, slightly more 6s than 3s but not too much mores 6s or we get into trouble). Sources of Omega 6 fatty acids dominate the standard American diet and have put many of us out of balance.

Raw food diets are typically much closer to the ideal ratio. Adding a few rich sources of Omega 3s can help to promote our wellbeing and ensure the EFA balance we need.  A daily dose of hemps seeds (2 tbsp) contains both Omega 3s and 6s in the perfect ratio. As a bonus, hemp seeds are also a fantastic source of high-quality, easily digested protein.

The hemp plant is also a renewable resource that has an incredible variety of uses. Hemp has a short growing period, requires no pesticides or fertilizers and can be used in amazing ways beyond the food supply (including textiles, carpets, paper, etc.).

While wearing your hemp t-shirt and that necklace you made in highschool you can enjoy hemp in many different ways. Hemp butters, oils and protein powders are now widely available. Hemp seeds can be sprinkled into smoothies, on top of salads or used to add a nutty flavour on spiralized noodles and sauce. I love hempseed pestos and my favourite hempanola. Hemp does have a strong flavour that may require some getting used to but the benefits of hemp are worth the effort. Brendan Brazier (vegan ultramarathoner) is a huge fan of hemp’s anti-inflammatory properties, which assist athletes in a speedy recovery.

The authors of Becoming Raw provide a recipe for Sunflower-Hemp Milk as another way to work hemp into your diet.

It is a creamy, rich cup of goodness that can be poured on top of a raw cereal, or added to a smoothie or soup to make sure your consumption of hemp is routine and delicious.

Speaking of hoppin’, this morning I prepared a Mr. Fruit Bunny
and Mr. Fruity Chick for my niece and nephews.
This is the only way I choose to devour animals.

Training Update: I’ve started into my plan to train for the 30km race in August with lots and lots of cross training. Yesterday I went on a road trip with my Mom that had us in the car for more than 9 hours. We actually got hit by a car early in the day but were able to continue on although my Mom is feeling some soreness today. I wasn’t up for a run late last night so I decided to get going this morning instead.

I took my Mom’s yellow lab out for a run this morning. He lasted 6 km before starting to lag behind. I dropped him at home and went out for another 6 km. It was a great run. I didn’t worry about pace today I just took in the amazing weather and enjoyed the company.

So…do you eat hemp, chia or flax? How do you make sure you get essential fatty acids in your diet?

Do you worry about the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio?

Do you make fruit animals too?

1. Posted April 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I love hemp! Great way to get my fatty acids. I do eat plenty of chia, hemp, and flax, but I also take a vegan DHA/ALA supplement. I want to be sure.

I do make fruit animals. Just made some peeps the other day. Raw vegan ones of course. Your bunny is so cute!

2. Posted April 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I love hemp seeds! I sprinkle them (along with ground flax) on my salads. Occaionally, I buy hemp seed butter, too. I love its green, slightly bitter flavor.

I like chia and always have some on hand, but tend to forget about it in favor of hemp and flax.

I've never worried about the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, but I do take the VPure omega supplement.

The fruit animals are so cute! I've never seen anything like them.

3. Posted April 4, 2010 at 12:19 am

Never made fruit animals, but the ones you made are adorable!

I enjoy all three: chia, hemp and flax seeds. But I have to say, hemp is my favorite of the three. I also enjoy the hemp butter a lot. The oil is nice too, but I don't care at all for the protein powders. Can't stand the way they affect the texture of a smoothie, making it really gritty and grainy. I prefer to just blend in some seeds, or even just use a tablespoon or 2 of the hemp butter, instead of a dry, dusty powder. Enjoyed this post, and I'm SO GLAD that you and your Mom are okay. Car accidents are so upsetting; they can really throw you off, even if you aren't seriously hurt. You be careful out there running around!

4. Posted April 4, 2010 at 7:59 am

I'm glad you are both ok!

I put chia seeds and flax seed oil in green smoothies, hemp seeds on steel-cut oats and ground flax in cookies.

Cute bunny!

5. Posted April 4, 2010 at 8:28 am

Yes, I do eat hemp and flax, but pretty much just the seeds. I grind up hemp and flax seeds and put them in smoothies, and I sprinkle hemp seeds on my salads.

But aside from also using flax seeds in baking, that's all I've ever really done with them, so I could use some new and creative ways to use them as well!

No, I've never paid attention to the ratio, so I'm glad to hear hemp seeds do that all on their own!

6. Posted April 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Wow…you are a very smart bunch. I'm really impressed by how well versed you all are in the Omega 3 – Omega 6 issue and your embrace of foods like chia, hemp and flax.

Bitt, your peeps are fantastic. As I mentioned on your blog…I love the dried fig one the best.

Vegyogini, I consume flax and hemp the most and enjoy chia but haven't made it a regular part of my diet yet.

Melinda, thank you for your concern. I'm doing great and my Mom is feeling a lot better. Like you, I've never been a fan of protein powders – I prefer the seeds themselves.

Tracy, not to worry, I'm fine. Hemp on steel-cut oats? That sounds like a great idea.

barbee, you should give flax crackers a try. I like both savoury and sweet varieties. You can find some recipes on my recipe index page or all over the internet!

7. Posted April 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Ahh, fruit animals! So cute. I have never done that before but now I want to!

I love hemp, chia, and flax all, but I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to my daily intake. Recently I made a garlicky hempnut spread for some rolls and it was really good, so I'm thinking there will be even more hemp in my life now 🙂

8. Posted April 6, 2010 at 7:25 am

a-k,

I would love to see your take on fruit animals. I'm sure the results would be amazing.