What a day. I sat in a 5 hour meeting reviewing a discussion guide for how to guide a discussion with another group of people. On days like this I’m really happy to know that sometimes taking the easy road has its benefits.
When I got home, I checked in with the lovely MamaPea (since she always makes me laugh and rethink my perspective), she was sharing some of the issues with relying on appliances to fix your dinner. But rest assured, there is good reasons for some of those pieces of equipment taking up valuable counter space. When it comes to improving nutrition and bioavailability blenders and food processors are key players to have on your team. I’m a little sleepy since MamaPea also inspired me to give this video a try (she must be a freakin’ powerhouse – it’s a challenging 40 minutes) but here is a quick list of why you should consider giving your blender a spin.
This Creamy Zucchini Soup (p. 272) from Becoming Raw is a delicious combination of healthy fats, B12 boosting nutritional yeast and offers 12 grams of protein per serving.
The benefits of blending – it’s not just for people who recently had dental surgery.
- Blending breaks down the cell walls in our foods which releases and activates enzymes (especially those needed to convert and digest starches)
- Blending breaks down the phytate-mineral bonds which makes minerals more available for absorption in our intestine.
- Blending also makes carotenoids (such as beta-carotene and lycopene) more bioavailable.
- Blending helps us to consume greater amounts of fibre and nutrients (especially when we’re feeling tired or busy)
- Blending can help us to consume foods that we don’t enjoy – that’s right, for those of you who do not love leafy greens…green smoothies are the answer!