Making eyes over Moon Pies

April 14th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, raw, Recipes, sugar-free, Sweet · Comments

I interrupt this month’s dedicated exploration of Becoming Raw to take a little departure into delicious decadence.Β

Mad Hatter: Trust me. I know a thing or two about liking people, and in time, after much chocolate and cream cake, ‘like’ turns into ‘what was his name again?’.

After reading this quote, I started to ponder. Could I use the intoxicating impact of sweet chocolate indulgence to set the stage for love?

In preparation for a special guest’s arrival I wanted to create the right atmosphere and gather all of the ingredients for an amazing night.

I whipped up a creamy, caramel-y batch of date paste

and a bowl of fluffy, crumbly, heart-healthy walnut meal.

I increased the friction (in my blender) to turn those firm, raw almonds into a creamy, luscious milk.
and soaked the raw chocolate in a hot tub, until it was a mess of liquid bliss.

Then I was ready to get down and dirty. Knowing my guest’s love for tea, I decided to tempt his taste buds with a sampler of flavours that combined a little spice and a lot of love.
First, I followed Heathy’s recipe for Mint Moon Pies to make sure I understood the proper technique and texture.

Inspired by the invigorating properties of my favourite lemon zinger tea I added lemon juice and grated fresh ginger to Heathy’s vanilla cream recipe to create a Lemon Ginger Moon Pie that would make anyone swoon.

Since I find the aroma of brewing chai incredibly enticing, I thought it might work to encourage my guest to relax and stay awhile. To create this tempting concoction I spiced up Heathy‘s vanilla cream moon pie with raw cacao paste and chai spice, making a Chocolate Chai Moon Pie, just saying the name feels great in my mouth but taking a bite is an extraordinary experience.

I’m really hoping this is enough chocolate and cream to turn this:

into this.

I believe in the magic of the moon pie.

I had a lot of fun playing with this challenge. If you want to get involved there is still time to enter your own moon pie creation (until April 17th).

Who would you invite to share your moon pies?

1. Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:35 pm

ok forget it, no way i even have a chance now. great job! still have get to finish and post mine.

2. Posted April 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Lisa!!!! WOW, beautiful Lisa, I love what you've done, and incorporated the story πŸ™‚
    I hope it's ok for me to post one of your pics on my blog!

Take care!

3. Posted April 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm

LOL bitt,
    I'm excited to see what you create. I have no doubt it will be delicious (the recipe is pretty fantastic!).

Heathy,
    Of course you can add a photo to your blog. Thank you for the challenge. I had a lot of fun. Now I really do need to find some friends to share the moon pie madness with.

4. Posted April 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Holy crap!!! Are you serious?!! Those look absolutely unbelievable. My mouth is watering. Will you reveal your recipe after the contest is over?!

5. Posted April 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Wow! I wish I was your special guest, hehe. The chai moonpies ESPECIALLY sound like something I'd be all over πŸ™‚ Impressively beautiful work, as always!

6. Posted April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Those look FANTASTIC!

7. Posted April 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Those look absolutely amazing! What a unique and brilliant theme, too. Such a fun challenge… enjoy eating them πŸ™‚

8. Posted April 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm

barbee,
    we'll have to arrange a moon pie delivery. I have a freezer full!

a-k,
    Thank you! I wish you were coming over too. I would love to hear all about the new job and your new recipes.

Thank you Sarah and Raw for all of you kind words. I really love hearing that people enjoy the blog.

9. Posted April 19, 2010 at 12:28 am

congrats on the win! will you send me one too? πŸ˜‰

10. Posted April 19, 2010 at 8:34 am

LISA! Congratulations!!! I knew you would win. Wondered how she would judge without tasting. Your presentation is lovely, and definitely set you apart. Love it! Maybe it will be lemon ginger pie for the pie contest?!?

11. Posted April 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Congratulations Lisa! You did a great job with the Moon Pies and of course Johnny Depp adds a certain something πŸ™‚

12. Posted August 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Lisa, I noticed in the picture where you were melting chocolate that it looked like cacao paste. Is that what it is? I have tried to cook (un-cook?) with it and its just so bitter. Can you tell me if thats what it is and if not what it is that you used? THanks so much.

13. Posted February 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi Lisa! Can you share the exact measurements you used for the ingredients you added to the basic Heathy’s vanilla cream recipe? I’m dying to make these especially the lemon and chai versions. Thanks

• Lisa
      Posted February 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Chris, I’m so sorry. It has been years since I’ve made these and I can’t remember the magic formula. I may give them a go again when I get home from Costa Rica and post a revised recipe. Stay tuned!