Frapptastic

May 20th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, Recipes, Snacks, sugar-free · Comments

The recent availability of vegan Frappuccino’s at a rather prevasive coffee house has had the internet a buzz with reviews and comments. I am excited to see that Starbucks has started carrying a number of vegan-friendly snacks (including Lucy’s cookies) and beverages.

I have been really tempted to give this frosty treat a try but I know that it made with a number of ingredients I general try to avoid. The biggest issue for me is the inclusion of refined sweeteners since my body is much happier now that the white-stuff is out of my life. But this very clear rationale hasn’t stopped me from craving a Frappuccino when all my twitter friends and blog roll contributors are going on and on about all the flavour variations now available for the tasteing.

Finally, I decided to give in and come up with my own version of a soy-free, refined-sweetener free version. By the way, I am aware that this treat contains coffee. Feel free to blend up your own variation using the brew of your choice – I haven’t successful eliminated coffee from my life for longer than a month at a time. I’m willing to give it a try again this summer, but for now…this is really, really delicious!
Mostly raw, totally delicious Frappuccino

Before bed:

1. Soak 1/4 cup of raw cashews
  2. Brew a strong cup of coffee (16oz of water to 3 TB ground coffee). Pour the coffee into an ice-cube tray and allow it to freeze overnight – while you dream of creamy, frappuccino goodness.

In the morning:

1. Drain the cashews and add them to your blender with 1/2 cup of water (or almond milk if you like), 1 large medjool date and a tablespoon of lucuma powder. Blend until you no longer see cashew pieces. Then add the coffee ice cubes. Pulse your blender or use the ice crushing function to break up the ice cubes and then continue to blend until a really thick and creamy consistency is achieved.
Enjoy.

I added some cinnamon and pieces of chocolate in the picture above but you can go wild with whatever toppings you fancy. You can also mix up the flavouring by adding: cocao powder, cinnamon, agave, vanilla or coconut milk (rather than water and cashews). Have fun experimenting.

1. Posted May 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I'm going to try this! But what is lucuma powder?

2. Posted May 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Mmm! I'm going to make this with Teechino! 🙂 Thanks!

3. Posted May 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm

i was going to say the same thing as lauren. this sounds out of world amazing for the summer though!!

4. Posted May 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm

YUMMY!!!!!!!! Looks perfect for a hot day!
    Pure2raw twins

5. Posted May 20, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Colleen- it a powder from a root but it has a bit of a caramel flavour.

Lauren-I would love to hear how it turns out with Teechino.

Nutellacube-I know, this is summer is going to be delicious.

Lori & Michelle – it would be the perfect afternoon treat for sitting on the grass with friends.

6. Posted May 20, 2010 at 11:08 pm

SOunds really nice!

7. Posted May 21, 2010 at 5:57 am

Noelle – it is a really great treat. I hope you'll give it a try.

8. Posted May 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

I never understood what all that buzz was about, I usually avoid Starbucks. But I could never avoid your version! It sounds like the perfect summer treat. Thank you, Lisa!

9. Posted May 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Lisa, this looks awesome. I too am tempted by the new Starbucks vegan delights but only really because they're vegan and that's kinda cool — not because of all the junk in them!

10. Posted May 23, 2010 at 5:21 am

OMG – Thank you for posting this! This looks amazing! I'm not a big coffee drinker and I recently stopped eating refined-sugar, but I have to say I am so tempted to try Starbucks' new vegan Fraps. Who needs it when I could have it raw and sugar free!!!

11. Posted May 23, 2010 at 11:13 am

Mihl – all the Starbuck's comments were enticing me so I really needed to find a better option to satisfying my craving. I hope you enjoy it.

Camille – the weather this week will make this a perfect treat.

Eco-Vegan Gal – It really does taste fantastic. I hope you enjoy the recipe.