A Simple Sauce Starring Rhubarb!

June 13th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, nut-free, raw, Recipes, sugar-free, Sweet · Comments

So far I am loving June 2010. We have had many days of surprisingly summer-like weather and the seasonal farmers markets are back! With their return, I find my shopping cycle switching to accommodate visits to all my favourite vendors.

In the winter, I find some of my market visits a bit depressing but come spring the colours of fresh local produce overwhelms me with a sense of celebration. This spring I have been challenged to try something new with the announcement by Kim and Ricki that this month’s SOS Kitchen Challenge will focus on recipes for RHUBARB

I have tasted rhubarb before but I’ve never used it in my own kitchen. I had thoughts of this unique vegetable swirling in my mind as I stumbled (it was early) into the St. Lawrence Market on Saturday. Look what I found waiting for me:

I chatted with the farmer and found a bunch of slender stalks (I hear they are sweeter). Since I was playing with rhubarb for the first time I didn’t want to get too adventurous in my combinations. I thought I would stick with the popular interplay of rhubarb’s tart taste and strawberries sweetness. St. Lawrence market was a wash of red as the local berries took over the tables. After tasting a sample I didn’t even question the cost. There is no comparing berries picked from an hour away and those trucked in from the fields down south.

When I started asking my friends about how to use rhubarb, it was obvious that most people stew it in a sweet syrup. I wanted to adapt that idea for a quick, raw sauce that could be used in a myriad of ways, and that would allow the rhubarb flavour to shine without overpowering it with sugar.

Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce
1 cup chopped rhubarb (choose slender stalks)
1 cup strawberries
juice from 1/2 orange
1 1/2 TB freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup dates (or sweetener of your choice: agave, stevia)

Combine all of the ingredients in your food processor and blend until you achieve a thick puree. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
Let the sauce sit for an hour in the fridge or overnight to thicken and let the flavours meld.

Then get creative.

Add a sweet swirl to your chia pudding.
Layer into a lovely a parfait with almond frangipane (equal parts almonds, water plus a little sweetener and vanilla extract).
Fill a mini fruit tart (pecan crust: 1/2 cup pecans, 1/4 cup dates, pinch of salt) for a special springtime treat.

Kim and Ricki will be posting a round-up of rhubarb recipes at the end of the month. If you’d like to contribute check out the details here.

You can also check out my previous SOS Kitchen Challenge entries:
Beets
Spinach

In my last post I shared my summer to-do list. Thank you to everyone who commented about their fantastic summer plans. You have all been entered to win a copy of Becoming Raw. If you haven’t entered yet, what are you waiting for? It is one of the most amazing nutritional resources for anyone trying to eat well and feel fantastic. I will be drawing one lucky winner on June 21st.

Are you a rhubarb fan?
Have you ever enjoyed it raw?
By the way, my swimming lesson was phenomenal! I am really excited about my new found love for the water. I hope you’re all enjoying the weekend, getting active and spending time with people you love.

1. Posted June 13, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ginger and dates? What a fantastic addition to that sauce!

2. Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:44 am

The sauce sounds really yummy! I've never been a huge rhubarb fan because I've typically found it requires too much sugar to become palatable, but I might just try your recipe 🙂

3. Posted June 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm

What a beautiful sauce, plus beautiful pics and creative ideas of what to do with it!

Yes I have enjoyed raw rhubarb.

A year or two ago I bought a book on Amazon called Chakra Tonics by Elise Marie Collins. I really like this little book. Lots of recipes for smoothies, juices, and herbal concoctions; plus one of the friendliest explanations I've seen on the chakras and spiritual matters. One of the recipes is for a rhubarb smoothie called "Prana Rising". She uses a cooked base for the rhubarb part, but for those who aren't eating cooked food, she suggests "Prana Rising in the Raw". Basically 3 stalks of rhubarb and two apples juiced together. I loved the simple juice combo. She also throws in this tidbit: "Juiced rhubarb is said to assist in releasing the heavy energetic load of TV programs and video games, and balances intuitive and analytic energy." Sounds good to me. I don't own a television, but I watch a few videos on YouTube!

Unfortunately, rhubarb doesn't grow locally, so I won't indulge much. Lots of other great stuff though. Just picked up local blueberries and white nectarines at the farmer's market yesterday!

Good to see you posting, Lisa, and I'm glad you are enjoying your June :)!

4. Posted June 13, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Lisa, these are stunning creations! Your chia pudding is beautiful, and that tart looks exquisite. And I LOVE that you used the rhubarb raw in a stellar sauce like this one! (I've never had raw rhubarb–will have to try this for sure). Thanks so much for another fabulous SOS entry! Your recipes look totally delicious. I look forward to the roundup, too! 😀

5. Posted June 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Great idea! Local strawberries are finally here. Yippee!

I have juiced rhubarb and had it raw but other than that, not used it raw.

6. Posted June 14, 2010 at 1:05 am

Wow I love what you have done with the raw rhubarb and the chia pudding and the parfait (one of my favourite things to 'raw'ise' look like perfection!

7. Posted June 14, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Love that sauce. I have never been a huge fan of rhubarb, but this looks amazing 😉 I will have to try it out.

Pure2Raw Twins

8. Posted June 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I love that this sauce is encouraging you to give raw rhubarb a try. I really enjoyed the flavour but you should make sure to puree the sauce to the texture that appeals to you – rhubarb is like celery and you don't want big chunks of it in the sauce.

The juicing idea is very intriguing. I bet it adds a delightful sour flavour to sweet juices. I wonder how it would taste with watermelon.

Now I just have to decide which picture to send for the SOS challenge. Such big decisions in my life 😉

9. Posted June 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

When I was a kid, we ate raw rhubarb all the time – but we dipped it in sugar. My mum would give us each a little bowl of sugar, and we'd dip the rhubarb stalk, take a bite, enjoy it, then dip it again and take another bite.