Be cool, eat mint.

August 16th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, raw, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free, Sweet, Uncategorized · Comments

After a brief hiatus Kim and Rickiare back with another challenge for adventurous cooks across the blogsphere.

This August has been a battle between humidity and hydration. In order to combat the water I lose over long runs and intense training sessions I’ve had to increase my intake of iced or chilled teas in the afternoon. ย For me, the perfect option is a tall glass of iced peppermint tea (although, I would love to give Ricki’s Ice Ginger Mint Tea Recipeย a try). When mint was revealed as this month’s challenge ingredient I was excited to create a sweet and savory recipe to celebrate this versatile herb.
Although mint is known for its calming properties, there a few other ways to chill-out. Theories include eating spicy foods to encourage your body to sweat and therefore cool-off or consuming a frozen treat for a refreshing break from the heat. You can test both theories yourself with these mint recipes.
Indian Dahl with Mint Cilantro Chutney

When a colleague of mine brought jalapeno and ring of fire peppers from her garden I knew I had to find a way to use them to spice up my dish. I love gardeners.

Although I eat a high raw diet, lentils are a great addition to help me meet my nutritional needs during heavy training weeks. This recipe is quite simple but feel free to use your own favourite dahl in this dish.
Simple Dahlย
1 tsp coconut oil (or whatever oil you’d like to use)
1 tsp mustard seed
2-3 cloves garlic, grated
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 cup red lentils (rinsed)
2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
In a small saucepan over med-high heat, warm your oil and add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop for 30 seconds (cover with the lid so they don’t go everywhere). Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute. Add the spices, water and lentils. Once the water boils reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the salt and lemon juice and cook for 5 more minutes. The lentils should be soft and creamy and the liquid should have evaporated completely. Serves 4.
Mint Cilantro Chutney
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 green onion
1 jalapeno, seeded
3 TBSP raw cashews
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/4 cup water
Blend all of the ingredients until smooth (you can use a blender or a food processor).
To assemble the stack: I dehydrated slices of a large tomato to intensify their flavour. You could also bake them in the oven or eat them fresh. Top the first slice of tomato with a few spoonfuls of dahl. Top the second slice of tomato with a few spoonfuls of chutney. Repeat.

To make sure cool heads prevail, I suggest you follow up this spicy dish with a rich, frozen dessert.

Frozen Mint Mojito Avocado Truffles
Centre
1 medium ripe avocado
1 cup raw cashew pieces
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
juice of 2 limes
pinch of sea salt
3 TBSP agave
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 tsp mint extract
Blend all of the ingredients until smooth (in a blender or food processor). Transfer to a large bowl and allow to chill in your freezer until firm (1-2 hours). Using a small ice cream scoop (or a 2 TB measure) to portion out 18 truffles onto a large plate or tray. Return to the freezer to harden (1-2 hours).
Chocolate Coating
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup cacao butter, melted
1 TBSP agave (at room temperature)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cocao powder
In a bowl combine the melted oil, butter, agave and vanilla. Whisk in the cocao powder.
To assemble: Dip each frozen truffle in the bowl of melted chocolate coating. Return to the freezer to set the chocolate. This is a very thin coating. I actually dipped each truffle twice and the chocolate shell remained perfectly thin, allowing the mint flavour of the centre to be the star. Makes 18 truffles. Keep them in the freezer until ready to serve.
Serve to friends – or people you would like to have as friends ๐Ÿ˜‰
ah…refreshing.
Check out all of the mint madness this month in the SOS Kitchen Challenge Mint Recipe Round-up. If you’d like to participate in all the fun just submit your post by the end of August.
What’s your favourite way too cool off? Do you go for spicy dishes or frozen treats on a hot day?

1. Posted August 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

OMG love mint! Love the recipes. So funny you did dahl, we actually were craving it so we bought red lentils the other day, now I really cannot wait to make some ๐Ÿ˜‰ YUM!
    Pure2raw twins

2. Posted August 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm

wow, lisa, both sweet and savory look amazing! your dahl recipe sounds great – funny bc i've been really wanting make dahl!=)

i love cold watermelon to cool off on a hot day… or just a big ol' sweaty glass of ice water!

3. Posted August 16, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Lisa, your dishes look so amazing. I love your pictures too! You should consider being a part of Foodbuzz in order to get more exposure to your site. I really like your recipes too!

4. Posted August 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Lisa, you have definitely outdone yourself this month! These dishes both look stellar. I adore dahl and that chutney sounds fantastic! And what a way to top off any meal–the combination of minty, creamy, cold and chocolate would be heavenly. Thanks so much for playing along this month and for these incredible entries! ๐Ÿ˜€

PS Oh, and because of the new submission form, people are free to submit entries until the very end of the month!

5. Posted August 17, 2010 at 1:19 am

everything looks scrumptious. i am especially interested in that frozen treat!

6. Posted August 17, 2010 at 5:47 am

I just LOVE sweet and savory. The dahl / mango dish is gorgeous.

I'm half-marathon training in these dog days of summer and coconut water with lime juice is saving me!

7. Posted August 17, 2010 at 7:16 am

Mmmmm! Both of these recipes look amazing. I have a hard time with mint in savory applications. But, with other Indian spices, it just might work for me. Chocolate and mint? That's never a problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Posted August 17, 2010 at 10:01 am

Wonderful looking dishes. I have several pots of mint growing outside. Mint and basil are my two favorite herbs to use.

How long did you leave those big tomato slices in the dehydrator?

9. Posted August 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm

What gorgeous creations! I really love what you've come up with for the SOS challenge. I particularly love how you assembled the dahl and chutney in layers with a tomato. I have some hot peppers from a neigbour's garden, so I'll have to try out your chutney recipe.

10. Posted August 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Wow! Your recipes look absolutely stunning! The mint truffles are on my short list of things to try:) Thanks so much for sharing!

Banana soft serve is my go-to way to cool down lately:)

11. Posted August 17, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Mmm looking forward to trying the truffles and dhal! I happened to just stock up on avocados recently!

Do you think the chocolate coating would work with melted chocolate chips in place of the cacao butter?

I like to cool down with a cold treat on a hot day. I love spicy food but it makes me sweat when I'm hot!

12. Posted August 17, 2010 at 11:26 pm

So yummy! I would devour either of those in an instant… you always ALWAYS continue to amaze me. Bravo!

13. Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:59 am

I'm so happy you all enjoyed my minty recipes. I hope you give them a try.

Twins, Kelli – I hear you, I've been craving dahl too. This recipe really hit the spot for me.

Such great ideas for cooling off – watermelon is one of my favourites too.

Ricki- I will fix the post with the correct deadline. Thank you.

Bitt- I think you would love the truffles.

JL- yes, coconut water is the best after a long run!

Deanna- I certainly had a harder time coming up with a savory mint recipe. The sweet was easy.

Mindy- I think I left them in for about 3 hours at 110.

Nicole – Thank you. I loved your recipes for the SOS as well!

Evergreen- I LOVE banana softserve. If it is a hot weekend there will be a few banana-filled bowls at my house.

Barbee- melted chocolate chips would make the coating a bit thicker. Cacao butter is just the fat so it melts into an oil. If you melt chocolate chips thin them out a little by adding a liquid fat. And sweating is supposed to cool you off!

a-k- thank you. I so pleased that you liked my creations. I hope to share some sweets with you soon.

14. Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

15. Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Yum! Those recipes look amazing. Can't wait to try them out.
    Jill

16. Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:02 am

Oh my word, what a beautiful pair of recipes! I eat mostly raw too, but lentils are part of my middle-eastern heritage, and I have lots of cilantro and mint in my garden right now, so that dal is super-tempting. And the presentation in the tomato – just fabulous!

And of course you can't go wrong with a choc-avo-mint dessert – I think I could easily adapt that to be sugar-free also.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring!
    love
    Ela

17. Posted August 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Everything looks so delicious! I would eat about a dozen of those mint truffles right now ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Posted August 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Jill – I hope you enjoy the flavours as much as the pictures.

Ela- I'm glad you liked the presentation. I would love to hear how your sugar-free truffle variation works out.

Golubka! I'm thrilled that you stopped by. I am so in love with your blog that I'm quite touched that you read mine.

19. Posted September 4, 2010 at 7:18 am

Both of these dishes look AMAZING! Can't wait to make them for a dinner party I'm having at the end of the month.

20. Posted September 4, 2010 at 7:18 am