Never too busy for Blueberries.

August 24th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, raw, Recipes, sugar-free, Sweet · Comments

I haven’t had much time to post lately but I promise you will soon benefit from all the work I’ve been doing behind the scenes – or rather on the veg scene.

On Monday, Christy the Blissful Chef shared a guest post I wrote on gleaning on her blog.
Today, the Toronto Vegetarian Food Fair schedule was announced! I have been working with Luke to coordinate all the cooking demos. I can’t wait to host so many amazing presenters – including the 2nd annual Iron Chef competition.

Today we also released all of the details for the 3rd Annual Totally Fabulous Vegan Bake-Off. I’ve been working away to get all of the logistics set up so that we can open registration on September 10 (you will have 10 days to get your entries in). You can follow the event updates on facebook.

I’ve also been training for my upcoming half marathon as a member of the Toronto Vegetarian Association charity team (if you’d like to sponsor us we’d really appreciate it!). With just four weeks to go I finally picked up a new pair of shoes and a foam roller to help keep myself injury-free as I enter the final sprint.

Oh and I’m still recipe testing for the Blissful Chef and Ricki Heller – I have quite the grocery list this week. So, while I’m working away on spread sheets and surveys I’m going to leave you with two delightful dishes you’ve requested in the past.

Enjoy!

I will happily eat blueberries by the handful, in a smoothie, a fruit salad or in one of these more decadent creations…

Blueberry Lavender Cheesecake
adapted from the Live Organic Food bar’s Dessert ebook
Crust
2 1/2 cups raw almond
3/4 soaked dates
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Filling
2 1/2 soaked cashews
3/4 coconut oil, melted
1/4 agave syrup
2 cup blueberries
2 tsp lavender
water if needed to blend smooth

Instructions
Combine all the crust ingredient in your food processor until it begins to stick together. Press into a 9 inch spring form pan.

Combine all of the filling ingredients in your blender until smooth (add water if needed). Pour the filling onto your prepared crust and allow it to set in the freezer for at least 2 hours.

photo taken by Raw Candy
Lisa’s Lavender and Blueberry Ice Cream
I make two version of this treat – one for me and one to impress company. The luxuriously rich version uses the ingredients in parenthesis. I won’t judge if you use it to impress yourself.
2 cups of almond milk (2 cups of coconut milk)
2 TBSP of dry lavender buds (culinary grade)
2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup dates (1/2 cup agave syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions:
Warm the almond milk/coconut milk in your dehydrator or over a low heat on the stove. Add the lavender buds and allow them to steep for 20-60 minutes. Add the almond milk, lavender buds, blueberries, dates and vanilla to a high-powered blender and blend until completely smooth. Allow to chill in the fridge for an hour. Then pour into your ice cream maker and churn according to the directions  for your machine. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze in ice cube trays and pulse in your food processor or blender until smooth right before serving.
What is your favourite way to consume blueberries?

Are you planning to come to the Food Fair? The Bake-Off? – or what are you looking forward to celebrating this fall? (My birthday perhaps?) xoxo

1. Posted August 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Both these recipes sound phenomenal! Wow, you are a busy bee. Thanks for coordinating all those speakers and demos at the Veg Fair–I am so excited to be a participant! And I know the Bake Off will be so much fun. 🙂

2. Posted August 25, 2010 at 2:25 am

I've heard amazing things about that ice cream. I need to try it before blueberry season has come and gone. Happy Recipe testing.

3. Posted August 25, 2010 at 6:02 am

Oh, both recipes looks so beautiful! Thanks!

4. Posted August 25, 2010 at 6:24 am

You ARE busy! I'm completely amazed at everything you do. The blueberries look yummy. My favourite way to eat them is out of the container.

5. Posted August 25, 2010 at 11:55 am

That cheesecake looks great! Yum! I love blueberries!

6. Posted August 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Thank you! I cannot wait to try these both!!!

7. Posted August 25, 2010 at 10:00 pm

mmmmmmm i am salivating. i can't wait to try these.

8. Posted August 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm

The fall is my favourite time of year, not only because the changing leaves are beautiful and the temperature is just right, but because I always look forward to celebrating veganism at the food fair and the bake-off. They're both coming up soon!

I'm going to try your lavender and blueberry ice cream. Are there more instructions? They seem to be missing.

9. Posted August 26, 2010 at 12:07 am

Hey there – oh, I used to make a lavender-blueberry cheesecake! We may be going to harvest blueberries around Anchorage this w/e.

I wanted to let you know that I tried out your lentil/chutney/tomato recipe and blogged about it –
    – I wanted to thank you so much for the inspiration and recipe!
    Sounds like you're doing all kinds of exciting things – have lots of fun.
    love
    Ela

10. Posted August 26, 2010 at 5:41 am

Ricki – we'll be lots of each other soon. That alone is worth the work.

Bitt-thank you. I find the blueberry lavender combo is perfect for inducing beautiful dreams.

JL-I love the bright purple of everything blueberry.

Tracy – We should plan to each macaroons when I see you in TO this Sept!

Lauren – I made the richer version of the ice cream for my friend after her baby was born and she LOVED it. Very calming.

Gerard – This post was just for you!

LAVA – If we pick up blueberries at the market we could make these tomorrow.

Nicole – I am looking forward to volunteering with you at the Fair and thank you for pointing out that I had a missing piece of text. I think it is all better now.

Ela- I'm thrilled that you tried my recipe. I can't wait to check out your blog.

11. Posted August 26, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Man, we made blueberry cheezcake, just did not add lavender, what a great combo!! Next time ; )

Pure2raw twins

12. Posted August 27, 2010 at 4:18 am

Ha, I think I just found my favourite way to eat blueberries! Both cake and ice cream look like a total win!

13. Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I love making raw blueberry "ice cream", but will be definitely trying your recipe next. Amazing! I'm so excited for the VegFair…I'll be volunteering at some of the TVA tables. But, I hope to see you at the cooking demos! And, I hope that Cassandra and I can enter the Bake-Off (in the category of raw sweets, of course!). 🙂

14. Posted August 31, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Oh my goodness, you have been quite busy! Blissful Chef looks like a great book judging by those yummy recipes:)

My favorite way to enjoy blueberries…by the handful:)

15. Posted August 31, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Whoops…just realized the recipes were not from Blissful Chef:) I need to go eat some blueberries!

16. Posted September 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Twins – you have to try it with lavender.

Mihl – I love blueberries fresh but lavender is a really love compliment.

Five Shades – can't wait to see you at Harbourfront next week.

evergreen – they are my recipes so you are free to play with them as much as you like.