Once you go Pakistani mango you never go back

August 2nd, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, raw, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free · Comments

Food blogging is fun. It encourages my creativity and introduces me to new ingredients and techniques. But the greatest benefit comes from the amazing people you meet who share your passions (for things like kale). I met Nelly and Camille a couple of months ago after we realized we were all working away in our own kitchens and posting on our blogs from living rooms in the same city.

As soon as we met, we started planning the next time we could get together for some fun in the kitchen. Saturday we made an insane amount of food. We created an amazing array of sweet treats but I’m going to split the goods over two posts, so we’re going to start with all of the savoury delights we enjoyed.

After much online deliberation, (twitter and email brainstorming sessions) we decided to descend upon the beautiful Brickwork farmers market to pick up some local produce. We got together without a plan, we let the available assortment of fruit and veggies guide the menu.

I was happy that Nelly and Camille, shared my market strategy: stroll, chat, taste THEN buy. I like to check everything out before committing myself to a purchase.

Brickworks hosts a number of organic or low-spray farmers, who enthusiastically enticed us with tastes of peaches, plums, tiny gherkins, and a variety of greens. But then there’s the chocolate. Since I moved to Toronto I have found an amazing purveyor of fair-trade vegan chocolate. Actually, Michael and the amazing team behind ChocoSol are involved in horizontal trade partnerships with the farmers in Mexico (he spends much of the year building capacity among the communities in Oaxaca). At many local events and markets they whip up incredible, authentic chocolate drinks and sell chocolate bars, coffee, chia, amaranth and agave sweetened vegan cookies.

ChocoSol is passionate about the product they create and everyone involved in crafting each bite.

After a quick taste of Michael’s cookies we moved on to the fresh stuff.

I love these baby sugar pears. They are the perfect size for a sweet treat at the end of a meal.

We spent a long time talking to the women of Kind Organics; trying different greens and sprouts. They had a sign inviting people to come to the farm to help with weeding in exchange for greens. I can’t wait to set the date for that adventure.

Everyone’s life seems to be filled with zucchini these days.

We also got a tiny handful of heirloom tomatoes (I actually took this photo after another market visit). The farmer said it was a tease for what he will have to offer next week. I’m hoping this August will be the month of the Heirloom tomato. If I had a few more I would have created a beautiful salad around this special ingredient (like swell vegan did). Instead we celebrated Nelly’s amazing garden kale with a beautiful plate of greens for lunch.

Kale salad: lemon juice, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, avocado, a few (very lovely) heirloom tomatoes.
Delicious sides: Nelly’s homemade sauerkraut and a spicy nori cracker.

I almost forgot…the mango. Actually, I will never forget the mango. Before we settled in for the afternoon of culinary creativity we stopped in Toronto’s Indian Bazaar to pick up tiffins for Nelly and Camille. It seems tiffin love is contagious!

As soon as we parked we discovered cases of Pakistani Honey Mangos. We had all seen the articles in the paper and clips on the evening news about the man being stopped at the border trying to smuggle this luscious fruit across the border (they are against import laws in the U.S.). I’ve tried alphonso, ataulfo and champagne mangos but never the Honey variety.

After a tasting session (with all the sounds of delight you’d imagine) we used most of the mango in a sweet pudding. But we had about a cup leftover which I decided to blend into an sweet and tangy dressing for our evening dose of greens.

Mango Lime Dressing
1 cup sweet mango (any variety will do but if you have Honey mango use it)
1/4 cup lime juice (from 1.5 limes)
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt

Blend until smooth.
We poured this golden dressing all over a simple salad of mustard greens, kale and avocado. Delicious.

But after hours in the kitchen working on our raw desserts we had developed quite an appetite. To compliment the fresh greens, Nelly shared some of her partner’s Dad’s beet and horseradish relish. It was fantastic.

Nelly also prepared a sweet potato salad inspired by a sample she had at the market. Baked sweet potatoes were tossed with parsley, chives, capers, lemon juice, and olive oil.
Camille, created a mushroom saute that combined portobello and lobster mushrooms, swiss chard, zucchini and garlic.
Camille and Nelly are known for their decadent raw desserts but they certainly know how to satisfy savoury cravings as well. These dishes provided the perfect sustenance to keep us working away for more than 12 hours in the kitchen.

Just as dinner came together Marlie arrived to share it with us. It was such a treat to have another visit with her as well.

Check back soon for all the sweet treats including the recipes we created for Apricot Macaroons (the French filled variety) and Peach Ice Box Cake.

What a delicious day!
Keep an eye on Nelly and Camille’s blogs for their musings on the whole adventure.

1. Posted August 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

Everything looks soooo good! I wish my Farmers Market was as cool as yours is!!!

2. Posted August 2, 2010 at 4:24 pm

that's it, i'm moving to toronto. mangos that are so good they are illegal in the US? crazy stuff. thanks for the virtual dinner. my eyes savored every bite.

3. Posted August 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Lauren and Bitt,
    Just tell us when to expect you. We can tour the markets and delight in each other's dessert creations.

It would be such a joy.

4. Posted August 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I'm all over that Mango Lime Dressing!! YUM.

5. Posted August 2, 2010 at 9:22 pm

everything about that day was epic (well not everything)…but your company and camille's made all the difference and i had such a fantastic time…

the mangoes were just too amazing…and the dressing out of this world.

6. Posted August 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Hi! Just stumbled on your blog (we met at Summerfest) and am loving it!

Stephanie

7. Posted August 3, 2010 at 8:00 am

yessss, the Pakistani Mangoes! Thank you for introducing them to me :) The dressing was awesome, as was the rest of the food.

Thank you for sharing your Saturday and amazing creations with me – so kind! Next time, dessert is on me :)

8. Posted August 3, 2010 at 9:06 am

I've been trying out new recipes with my folks at home this summer. Next on the list: mango lime dressing!

Haven't checked out Brickworks before. Looking forward to a visit when I get back to TO… especially for that chocolate :-)

9. Posted August 3, 2010 at 9:46 am

Claudia – I think you'll love it.

Nelly – you were the most amazing host for the festivities. Thank you for everything :)

Stephanie – I'm so excited you found the blog and that you're enjoying it. Thanks for stopping by.

Marlie – Now you have me dreaming about next time. Wonderful.

Nancy – Brickworks is great. You can also find ChocoSol at Dufferin Grove on Thursdays.

10. Posted August 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Loved the line that you made "an insane amount of food". So happy you get to share with such amazing friends:)

Your mango-lime dressing sounds lovely!

11. Posted August 4, 2010 at 12:27 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

12. Posted August 4, 2010 at 12:28 am

Pakistani Mangoes- http://www.honeymangoes.com

13. Posted August 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

WOW! I am so glad that I found your blog! This is going to be a fount of information for me, as I explore the world of transition into full vegan-ism someday. Thanks for all your reviews!

14. Posted August 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

evergreen – just wait until you see the desserts. I'm telling you, "insane".

Monique – I'm so glad you stopped by. Let me know if you have an particular questions about eating more plant-foods. It is a bit of a passion for me.

Aman – Thanks for sharing the link.

15. Posted August 4, 2010 at 9:40 pm

What a fun trip to the market you girls hard!
    Chocosol looks especially fabulous!

16. Posted August 5, 2010 at 9:28 am

ChocoSol at Dufferin Grove? I clearly don't take enough time at the market. In and out with my veggies. Will slow down when I get back :-)

17. Posted August 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

All of the food looks beautiful. I would love all of the raw goodies. I'm sure in the winter I will be tempted to try the sweet potato dish!!!
    We have a very large Key Lime Tree in our yard, when they are ripe I will use Key Lime juice in your mango dressing!! Yummy!
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

18. Posted August 15, 2010 at 9:59 am

2010-Phd I hope you find them next time. Their products are amazing.

Elizabeth – what a beautiful addition key limes would be. The raw treats were amazing and I agree, the sweet potato dish would be very warming on a cool winter's night.