A Simple Apple Slaw for Fall

September 25th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, nut-free, raw, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free · Comments
I was really thrilled by your excitement for my apple streusel bars – the more excited you are the more motivated I am to get in my kitchen and create something new. I was especially delighted to see Paul’s post about trying the recipe (or at least Paul’s version of the recipe) all the way across the pond, in Scotland. Isn’t it amazing how the internet can connect us to inspiration and kindred spirits from around the world. I feel so blessed that blogging about healthy vegan food has connected me to so many amazing people*.
Now, I have another recipe to share with you for the SOS Kitchen Challenge (hosted by Kim and Ricki). I appreciate the effort that Kim and Ricki have put into getting everyone excited about Apples this month. To compliment yesterday’s sweet treat I’m bringing you a savoury recipe today.
Unlike the complex steps involved in layering up those apple streusel bars this simple apple slaw can be on your table in minutes flat.
When you’re making simple recipes, especially raw, vegan ones, the quality of your ingredients matters. I had a bunch of beautiful, local, organic carrots and a few pounds of organic apples, so I didn’t want to mask their amazing flavours with complex cooking methods. Instead, I wanted to heighten their natural sweetness with a few techniques to change the texture, some complimentary spices and a little richness from the addition of tahini.
In the end, you get a bowl full of colour and flavour.
Simple Apple and Carrot Slaw
4 cups shredded carrot
3 cups shredded apple
2 green onions
2 medjool dates
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 TB tahini
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
I used my food processor to shred the apple and carrots but you can also use a box grater and some arm power. In a large bowl combine the carrot and apple. Toss with your hands to gently combine. Finely slice the green onions and sprinkle them evenly in the large bowl. Pit the dates and chop finely. Distribute the dates evenly in the large bowl. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients, stirring until emulsified. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss gently to coat all the ingredients. Will last for a few days in the fridge.
This dish would be the perfect addition to a holiday table – especially Canadian Thanksgiving which is just around the corner.
I will be back tomorrow with one more apple recipe. If you have you own to add to the round-up, submit it here.
I’m running the Scotiabank Half Marathon tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. please cheer loudly where ever you are.

*I am so happy to have found Ricki, Angela, A-K, Terry, Caitlin, Lori and Michelle, Camille, Marlie, Nelly, Heathy, Mihl, Marni, jae, Bitt, Lindsay, KellyLauren, Christy, Nicole, Robyn, Hannah, MamaPea, Ashley, Kristen, Evergreen, Erica Sara, Shelly, Gena and many, many more. They all make the internet a very friendly, fun and informative place. Thank you ladies, you will never know how much you have touched my life.

1. Posted September 25, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Lisa, I am loving your apple creativity for this month's Challenge! And I agree–why mask such delicious flavors with too many additions or over cooking? I think this raw salad is going to grace our holiday table this year. 🙂

Good luck on the half marathon tomorrow! And THANK YOU for the wonderful sentiment at the end of your post. You know I feel exactly the same way about you (and so many of the wonderful women you list are on my own list, too!) (((*hugs*)))!

2. Posted September 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm

How simple! never thought of putting apple in coleslaw…by the way my sister and I just finished making those streusel bars. We will send you the picture once we post them! 🙂

3. Posted September 26, 2010 at 12:46 am

I love apple slaws – thank you for the reminder! This looks like a delicious version. I'll have to try it with cumin – wouldn't have thought of that. I bet it would be great with dried cranberries also.

love
    Ela

4. Posted September 26, 2010 at 12:47 am

Forgot to say- (been frazzled and busy preparing for a trip, missed a few posts) – those streusel bars look just out of this world – I'm going to have to try something like that!

5. Posted September 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I love the look of this salad – I make something very similar without the orange juice, and just love it! Thank you for being such an enthusiastic participant, I always love to see what you come up with. I hope you rocked the half marathon! xoxo Kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

6. Posted September 27, 2010 at 9:12 pm

This slaw looks wonderful, Lisa. As far as I'm concerned, food processors were made for slaws. I love watching those shreds pile up in seconds flat. Thanks for sharing another great recipe.

PS. I hope I don't end up with duplicate posts. Tried to send this once and got kicked out, the nerve of this machine. Here goes again.

7. Posted September 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

this looks so delicious! now i have to decide between this and an egg tahini recipe i found…so hard to choose!!

8. Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:22 am

This sounds like such a lovely, light, and healthy dish! The perfect dish as we transition into fall, too.

Thank you so much for your sweet shout-out, your blog is quite the inspiration, too! 🙂

9. Posted October 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Thank you Ricki!

Jennifer and Jaclyn – I was blown away with your streusel bars. Amazing!

Ela- adding cranberry is a wonderful idea.

Thanks Kim – I love the SOS Challenges, they inspire me to try something new.

Mindy- I totally agree food processors should be called slaw makers.

Hannah – big huge hug to you.

10. Posted October 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Sounds like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it out this week!