Understanding Eve: Raw Apple Streusel Bars

September 24th, 2010 · Lisa · raw, Recipes, sugar-free, Sweet · Comments
As we approach the end of September it is time to celebrate the start of a new season and relish in the bounty of the harvest. Apple season is one of my very favourite things about Fall.
For the past three years I have had the pleasure of picking apples with Not Far From the Tree but I also love to organize orchard trips with family and friends. I imagine one day hosting a vegan Thanksgiving Feast (observed in early October in Canada) in an apple orchard adorned with white lights and long linen-topped tables. So, when Ricki and Kim announced that the SOS Kitchen Challenge ingredient for this month was Apples I was delighted.
I knew the challenge would be a great excuse to think of new ways to use a favourite ingredient and would provide many opportunities to glean inspiration from all my fellow food bloggers (there is already quite a collection of entries). With a few pounds of apples at my disposal I have created three brand new recipes to share with you. I’m going to start with the most labour intense one. This treat involves a few steps but the rewards are worth the extra effort.
 Raw Apple Streusel Bars:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Cashew Icing:
1/2 cup cashews
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 TBSP water

Directions:
Start by pulsing the cashews and salt in your food processor until you achieve a fine meal. Then add the agave and pulse until combined. Press the crust into an 8X8 pan lined with parchment paper.

In your food processor or blender, combine the apple butter ingredients and blend until smooth. If you’re using a food processor you may want to pulse the apples first before adding the other ingredients in order to achieve a smooth result.

I know, not a pretty picture but the point is – spread the raw apple butter evenly on top of the cashew crust.

Using a mandoline or a sharp knife and a steady hand, slice 1 apple paper thin. Toss the slices in lemon juice to prevent oxidation.
 Overlap the apple slices on top of the apple butter to make a pretty layer of apple goodness.
In a small bowl combine the streusel ingredients. Sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the apple slices.
Fro the cashew icing, pulse the cashews in a blender until finely chopped. Add the lemon juice and blend to combine. Add the water, one tablespoon at a time, until you get a smooth, thick cream. Fill a piping bag or a ziploc bag with the icing ingredients. Pipe an icing grid across the streusel bars.
 Admire your handy work.
 Slice into bars.

Brew some tea, put on fuzzy socks, grab the paper and a bar. Relax. Welcome fall.

Two more recipes to come (apple slaw and apple butter ice cream) and an interesting race recap on Sunday. Keep your healing thoughts coming.

If you have an apple recipe to add upload your entry here.
xoxo

1. Posted September 24, 2010 at 7:58 pm

That's lovely! Nicely done! (and thank you for sharing the recipe — I am going to try this).

2. Posted September 24, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Oh my goodness, Lisa, you have outdone yourself on this one! Stunning. This is pretty enough to sell in a pastry shop! :) Thanks so much for contributing (and I cannot WAIT to see what else you've got up your oven mitt!) 😀

3. Posted September 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm

OMG! Wonderfully yummy! Very nice!

4. Posted September 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm

This looks reeeeeallly good. I may just make your recipes all fall long. :-)

5. Posted September 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm

You know, I was working on a raw apple tart recipe. But, forget it! I'm just gonna make these. I'm absolutely drooling here.

6. Posted September 24, 2010 at 11:32 pm

BRILLIANT! I am so totally making these as soon as humanly possible. I love this idea! Thanks for such a great entry. xoxo Kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

7. Posted September 25, 2010 at 12:14 am

wow! these look too good to be true, I will have to try them out!

8. Posted September 25, 2010 at 12:19 am

I just checked if anyone posted a new recipe for the challenge and saw yours! Oh my goodness! I am giong to have to pick up some cashews STAT just to make this. Looks so beautiful! I have tons of apples right now.

9. Posted September 25, 2010 at 10:14 am

Lisa, those are beautiful! I can imagine them being real and in front of me right now! Yum.

10. Posted September 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I tried it Lisa, obviously I don't have your skills: http://artsy72.blogspot.com/2010/09/raw-vegan-failure-sorry-veganlisa.html

11. Posted September 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm

These bars look so wonderful! I love that the recipe doesn't require a dehydrator. These sound like a great snack.

12. Posted September 25, 2010 at 11:57 pm

That looks amazing! I really wanna try and make this.

13. Posted September 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I love apples too, and these look absolutely fabulous. Can't relate to the fuzzy socks yet. We're thrilled here to finally have highs in the low eighties in the last week or so, instead of the nineties, as it was during most of Sept. October is my favorite month, because when we finally get some relief after 4 months of 90 plus in the daytime, well, it feels like a religious experience :). Oh, and tonight, we're supposed to plummet all the way to 56. I don't think we've seen that since last April. I'm behind on my reading, and I see I have 2 more apple recipes to check out. I'm very excited!

14. Posted September 29, 2010 at 10:06 pm

This looks just unbelievable.
    Do you use a particular type of apple?

15. Posted September 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm

OMG this is stunning!! *Mouthwatering over here in Japan* and super jealous I can't make this right now!

16. Posted October 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Tried this recipe today with Arvinda's Chai spices for a variation on flavour! Thanks for sharing :)

17. jessieholder
    Posted September 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm

This was a huge hit! Everyone was raving about how good it was…including myself. I will definitely make this again. It is such a beautiful piece of art.
    Thanks for the recipe!

• Posted September 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it :)