You’ll fall for this Pumpkin Dal

October 17th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, nut-free, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free · Comments

Over the last few weeks the pages of my favourite blogs have definitely been dominated by a delicious orange hue. I am not complaining. I love to welcome Fall by finding new ways to up my consumption of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger and the glorious gourd – pumpkin.

This year, I have enjoyed pumpkin in my morning oats as Angela does, whipped up a homemade pumpkin spiced latte like Mama Peaand topped a big bowl of steamed kale with whipped roasted pumpkin. But like any real hobby – there are supplies required to become a pumpkin master. Luckily, there are places where people, like me, can can go to answer the call.

Last month there was some obvious anxiety south of the border over a shortage of canned pumpkin. I haven’t actually bought a can this year because I found a reliable supplier to satisfy my craving.
I went right to the source – I discovered Pumpkinland!

While in Pumpkinland my nephews can leap over huge orange globes to find the perfect canvas for their future Jack O’ Latern masterpieces.

In Pumpkinland you are expected to take your time to evaluate the product. Select a special specimen with the end result in mind.

If you visit Pumpkinland, I suggest you bring along a friend who shares you’re adoration for all things pumpkin. My niece has less discerning pumpkin taste than I do – but I appreciate her acceptance of diversity. She’s open to loving ‘kins of all shapes and sizes.
You should know, souvenirs from Pumpkinland are not optional.
Bring many helpers to assist with your haul.
Once you return home you may find the orange glow begins to subside. In order to sustain the joy felt in Pumpkinland try adding a little pumpkin to every meal. To get you started on this regime here is a delicious dish, to warm you and your pumpkin-loving crew on a lovely fall evening.
Pumpkin Dal
1 cup red lentils
2 cups water
1 large yellow onion
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
1 1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp hot curry powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 cup pumpkin puree
juice of 1 lime
2 TBSP shredded coconut
2 kale leaves, finely sliced
Rinse the red lentils in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear. In a small sauce-pan over medium heat bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, cover and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook the lentils for 20 minutes. The lentils should be soft and most of the water should be absorbed.
Add the coconut oil to a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil has melted add the onion (and mustard seeds if using) and saute for 10-15 minutes until the onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add the spices and stir to coat the onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, cooked lentils and lime juice. Add the shredded coconut and kale. Continue cooking until the kale has softened.
Serves 4-6.

Just in case you’ve never been to Pumpkinland or made your own pumpkin puree – please accept two tidbits of knowledge that have come from many years of pumpkin love. When you get your pumpkin home, cut it in half, scoop our the seeds and membranes, preheat your oven to 375, turn the two halves cut-side down on a baking sheet, add a cup of water and cook for 30 minutes. The pumpkin will be perfectly moist and supple.

Next, let the pumpkin drain for a few hours in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl. You’ll be amazed how much liquid you collect. This will help to make you pumpkin product much more like the texture you’d expect from the can.
So…Any pumpkin lovers out there? What orange creations are coming out of your kitchen these days? Anyone want to carpool to Pumpkinland?

1. Posted October 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I love this recipe! We've been wanting more lentils lately. This looks delicious.

What fun to hang out with the toddlers too.

I made some pumpkin muffins the other day. They were popular with the crowd I fed them to.

2. Posted October 18, 2010 at 12:09 am

That looks like such a fun event!

I seem to have discovered that pumpkin (like almost all starches) hurts my tummy, but the best thing about getting a whole pumpkin is that you can use the seeds too!

Love the tip on draining the flesh after baking, and I love dal, as you reminded me with your inspiring recipe a while ago.

love
    Ela

3. Posted October 18, 2010 at 7:33 am

Pumpkin Dal sounds amazing and looks great!! I will have to make this, I love dal.

Never been to a pumpkin batch…maybe this year I will ; )

Pure2raw twins

4. Posted October 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

I think I'll be trying this recipe this week. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'll be using butternut squash though, or I have canned pumpkin puree. Could I use that?

Be Well,
    Carolyn

5. Posted October 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

I have actually almost never tried pumpkin! My mom just never fed it to us growing up so out of habit I just never think of using it when I cook. But there are so many amazing sounding recipes in Isa and Terry's books so I've had a can of pureed pumpkin sitting in my cupboard for a couple of months waiting to try pumpkin waffles or pancakes but I've never gotten around to it!

My first experience eating pumpkin was at one of Robby's Thanksgiving dinners a few years ago. And since then, the only thing I've cooked with it so far is the pumpkin pie brownies from Vegan Cookies.

So, I'm looking forward to finally breaking open that can of pumpkin to try this dal of yours, sounds and looks delicious!

6. Posted October 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

Oh, Yum! I love Indian Dal and pumpkin. I have all the ingredients except the pumpkin, so I'll be making a shopping trip. I wish I could go to Pumpkinville with you.

Last year I made a pumpkin smoothie several times. It called for raw pumpkin, young coconut water and milk, ice, and pumpkin pie spices. The first time I made it, I wondered how it would work with the raw pumpkin. It was delicious.

I'm not adverse to the cooked, however; so I will definitely be trying this dal. Thanks, Lisa.

7. Posted October 18, 2010 at 11:05 am

Great recipe! I love pumpkin!! And adorable pics!!! Looks like you had a great time!

8. Posted October 18, 2010 at 11:50 am

Pumpkin and indian food, what a great combination! and a powerful protein punch!

9. Posted October 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Lisa! This dal was soooooo good! I am going to buy the ingredients tonight to make more 🙂

I'd love to make a trip to Pumpkinland one day! Where is it located? It looks like so much fun!

10. Posted October 20, 2010 at 2:57 am

Wow! The pumpkins are really beautiful! And as for the recipe, it looks good. I think this is something that can be served on Halloween.
    organic tables

11. Posted October 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

this recipe looks awesome — i love savory uses for pumpkin, rather than just the traditional pies and bars (although those are good too!)

i've never been to a pumpkin patch — looks like lots of fun!