Chai Pumpkin Pie Ice Creem Sandwiches

November 7th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, Recipes, sugar-free, Sweet, vegan mofo · Comments

I was quite touched by your comments on yesterday’s post. I am so happy that vegan food blogs have connected me to amazing people around the world AND has helped me to discover the incredible versatility of the great pumpkin.

Seriously, a few years ago I never would have imagined making waffles, pancakes, scones, oatmeal, cheesecake and smoothies with pumpkin. But now it seems like the only way to celebrate the season.

After prepping and baking a couple pie pumpkins and adding it to everything I could think of I still had a few cups left of perfect puree.

I planned to freeze the leftovers but as soon I thought about using my precious freezer space I decided to make it worth it by turning the pumpkin into a delicious batch of chai pumpkin ice cream (recipe below). That’s what you would do, right?
So, I have enjoyed a scoop here and there over the last few weeks but all the pumpkin MoFo posts (I’m looking at you Shellyfish) have inspired me to break out that pumpkin pint and fancy it up.
A spicy, cinnamon, ginger cookie recipe from Sweet Gratitude caught my eye. I knew it would turn my chai pumpkin ice creem into something spectacular.
I weighed out some medjool dates

I combined raw almonds, grated ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, vanilla and a pinch of salt, in my food processor.

Until the texture was like a crumbly pie crust.
Next I rolled the batter out on a Silpat sheet or wax paper.
Then I cut out circles (make sure you have even numbers).
And transfered the cookies to a plate covered with wax paper.
Put the plate in the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
Rolled the “in-between” extra dough into fantastic ginger-almond-date balls.
Assessed the flavour.
Before I started assembling the cookies I let the ice creem soften at room-temperature for 30 minutes (right, so take it out when you put the cookies in). Then I topped half of the cookies will small scoops of chai pumpkin ice creem.
Added the top.
Pressed the cookies together and smoothed the sides of the ice creem.
I just kept scooping and squishing until all the cookies were partnered up and hugging some pumpkin.

Then I had to assess the flavour again. Working in quality control in this kitchen is one fantastic job. So, there you have it, raw, vegan pumpkin pie ice creem sandwiches.

Chai Pumpkin Ice Creem
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained
1 1/2 cup water
1 TBSP chai spice (I used Arvinda’s Masala Chai but you could use pumpkin pie spice instead)
2/3 cups agave syrup
2 TBSP maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP lecithin
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

Combine all of the ingredients except the coconut oil and lecithin in your blender. Blend until very smooth. Add the lecithin and coconut oil and pulse until incorporated. Chill in your fridge for two hours or in the freezer for 30 minutes. Churn in your ice cream maker for 25 minutes (or in accordance with manufactures instructions).

Looking forward to week two of Vegan MoFo.

I hope you all enjoyed your extra hour today. It allowed me ample time for a run and some mural painting. How did you spend your Sunday?

1. Posted November 7, 2010 at 4:08 pm

YUM! I am all over those.

2. Posted November 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Those are gorgeous and look so good!!!

3. Posted November 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Wow, what an amazing thing to do with your pumpkin purée!

4. Posted November 7, 2010 at 7:28 pm

woooow!
    congrats! they look awsome !

5. Posted November 7, 2010 at 7:41 pm

That looks crazy delicious! I watched a friend finish his first marathon in 10 years.

6. Posted November 7, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Sweet Gratitude has been sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust. I think it's time to bring it out for these sammies!

7. Posted November 8, 2010 at 2:54 am

YUMMM! I'm totally saving this in my bookmarks for when I get an ice cream maker.

8. Posted November 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Guilty as charged! You're so sweet, Lisa! And if you ever want some help with the quality control in your kitchen, you know who to call!

I can't get coconut oil, but I'm thinking of trying to adapt your amazing recipe to make some pumpkin ice cream, vegan style!

And you ran! I'm so happy to hear you're running again!

9. Posted November 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I love your creativity, Lisa. These ice creem sandwiches involve all the flavours I love.

I spent most of Sunday afternoon on my new bicycle! It was my first bike ride in almost 2 years and it was glorious.

10. Posted November 9, 2010 at 12:25 am

I am SO going to try this! Nice presentation. Glad you were able to use the Chai Masala in the recipe.

So with my extra hour, I reorganized my closet! 'Out' with the summer clothing and officially 'in' with the winter stuff. We can eat ice cream and pretend it's summer again!

11. Posted November 9, 2010 at 8:07 pm

They are so easy to make AND super fun to eat.

Jackie Smith – I"m excited to hear you were out cheering on runners. Were you in NYC?

Eileen – it is my go-to raw dessert book.

Shellyfish – it turns out running was a bit premature. But it made me happy.

Nicole – a day of bike riding. That is an excellent way to spend that extra hour.

Preena – closet cleaning is a very responsible way to spend a Sunday. I have another post this week that includes Arvinda's spices!