Gratitude and Greens

November 8th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, nut-free, raw, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free, vegan mofo · Comments
I am grateful for vegan chefs who create fantastic, flavourful, cruelty-free meals.
I am grateful for publishers who believe in sharing animal-friendly recipes and stories of compassion with the world.
I am grateful for my imagination that can take me on a tour of incredibly vegan restaurants from the comfort of my own home.
For the second week of Vegan MoFo I’m going to share recipes from my favourite vegan restaurant cookbooks (don’t worry I asked the publishers first). I took each book and flipped the pages as if it were the menu. I picked one selection to recreate and share.
Let’s start in San Francisco. If you read food blogs you’ve probably been caught up in the buzz of Foodbuzz all weekend. Reading posts from pure2raw, MamaPea, and edible perspective had me craving a trip to the coast. They even ate at the two restaurants I long to visit: Cafe Gratitude and Millennium.
The conversation is more one-sided than it would be in the company of those loquacious ladies but creating my hypothetical visit to Cafe Gratitude would have to include an order of their MARINATED KALE SALAD! For the die-hard kale fan this is the ultimate in green goodness.
It all starts with a beautiful bowl of greens
plus some sweet shredded carrots
piled high
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 1/2 TBSP Nama Shoyu – I used Braggs
2 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar
1/2 TBSP sesame oil – I left it out
1/2 jalapeno pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt

Blend the dressing ingredients together until well combined.

Assembly:
Slice shiitake mushrooms into thin strips and marinate in 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup Nama Shoyu (Braggs). Set aside.

In large bowl place kale, drained hijiki (wakame), carrots and cucumbers. Drizzle with marinade and toss until well coated. Remove shiitake mushrooms with liquid and add them to salad mixture. Toss lightly. Divisde salad onto four plates and garnish with sesame seeds.

This was the best salad I have ever, ever eaten. I loved every single bite. I am so glad that the vegan month of food gave me the motivation to give it a try. What a gift.

Recipe from I Am Grateful by Terces Engelhart, published by North Atlantic Books, copyright © 2007 by Terces Engelhart. Reprinted by permission of publisher.

I hope you’ll enjoy all the recipes to come this week. What restaurant do you dream of visiting?

1. Posted November 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

That looks AMAZING. I've only eaten at Cafe Gratitude once, and had their "enchilada", which was really, really tasty. Hope you make it there someday! Actually, I think you and I would make great raw/vegan restaurant tour partners. Ahh, dreams.

2. Posted November 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Now I'm totally craving Gratitude Cafe food and one of their I am wonderful shakes.

3. Posted November 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I just made a kale salad last night. Seeing a lot of them in the blog world today. Funny how that happens!

I'd love to eat at Cafe Gratitude someday.

4. Posted November 8, 2010 at 10:34 pm

That looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe, looks like it may be my dinner tomorrow night…
    Cafe Gratitude is the restaurant I dream of visiting.

5. Posted November 9, 2010 at 7:19 am

My goodness! That is an amazing-looking salad. Café Gratitude sounds amazing. I don't really know what restaurant I'd like to visit. Probably one that did mostly raw, just because it would be fun to have someone else do all the prep for me!

6. Posted November 9, 2010 at 10:01 am

I just made a massaged kale salad and a side of marinated mushrooms for my mom here in London because she bought a bunch of purple kale!

I have had that very salad at Cafe Gratitude back when I used to live there. At the time, I was a fat-phobic fruitarian (million miles from where I am now) but I still loved that salad! I have to say, I think it would be better with hijiki texturally, and I hope you'll try it that way too.

Thanks for sharing this!

I love Cafe Gratitude's shakes probably above all else – will have to recreate one for myself sometime soon.

Thanks again!
    love
    Ela

7. Posted November 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm

that salad looks stunning, and lovely photos!

i am grateful for the inspiration i get from beautiful people like yourself!=)

8. Posted November 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm

a-k – I expect we'll have fun touring restaurants in PDX in August!

GiGi – oh, now I have to go look up shake recipes to try.

bitt – so true, the love apples and kale are rampant in the vegan world.

Domestic Dharma – I hope you loved it as much as I did.

Shellyfish – if you'd like to come to Toronto I would be happy to take you to all four of our raw restaurants.

Ela – I'm excited that you've tried the real deal. I have not been able to find hijiki for over a year. There was a mercury issue awhile back that took it off the shelves here.

Kelli- i have been loving your posts lately. Your words are always so warm and full of joy.