Sweet Potato Pasta

November 20th, 2010 · Lisa · gluten-free, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free, vegan mofo · Comments

I’m back today with recipes! I am pretty excited to share with you my savoury entry for this month’s SOS Kitchen Challenge. SOS is a blog event created by Ricki and Kim that celebrates a different ingredient each month. Bloggers share their favourite recipes, both sweet and savoury, that highlight the selected ingredient. This November we’re getting excited about the versatility of the sweet potato.

I love the SOS Kitchen Challenge because it always pushes me to try something new. Sweet potato is a common item on my shopping list – especially during the winter. Baked or steamed it is an amazing addition to any salad. Today, I wanted to find a new way to enjoy this super tuber.

I’ve seen sweet potato noodles in Asian markets but they seem pretty far away from the fresh vegetable I adore. So, I tried my hand at a much simpler version. I peeled a sweet potato and ran it through my spiralizer to make pasta. You could get a similar result by using a vegetable peeler and then a knife to julienne the thin strips.

But if you do have a spiralizer – it takes about 30 seconds to make a big pile of sweet potato pasta.

I considered baking the noodles but decided a quick blanch was the way to go. I tested the noodles every 2 minutes and found the 4 minute mark to be ideal for an al dente texture.

The internet is full of sweet potato salad suggestions. I used a personal favourite as a starting point for this simple dish. A quick sauce with olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, green onion and capers to toss with the warn noodles.

The results were better than I had imagined.
Fabulous, flour-free noodles.

The great thing about noodles, like sweet potatoes, is their versatility. Once I got the technique down, I was ready to try another flavour combination. I love sweet potatoes baked in a nut butter coating so I wanted to try a spicy sauce for my new favourite pasta. Almond butter, ginger, lime juice, cayenne and Braggs was all I needed to create this sensational dish.

Add some broccoli and you’ve got a really satisfying meal.
Sweet Potato Pasta
2 cups of sweet potato noodles (as described above).
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the noodles for 4 minutes. Drain.
Lemon Caper Sauce
1 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp capers
1 green onion, sliced fine
2 TBSP fresh parsley, minced
pinch of salt
Stir together in a large bowl. Toss with one cup of sweet potato pasta.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
1 TBSP almond butter
2 tsp Braggs
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp brown rice vinegar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
4 tsp hot water
Stir together in a large bowl. Toss with one cup of sweet potato pasta and 1/2 cup of broccoli and garnish with sesame seeds.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try – but you should also check out what all the other SOS participants are doing with sweet potatoes. Check-out the round-up.
It is day 20 of Vegan MoFo. I’ve spent today prepping photos and recipes to share with you all this week. I can’t wait to see what the other vegan bloggers create.

1. Posted November 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Wow, Lisa–gorgeous!! I love my spiralizer, too 🙂 But I've never made sweet potato pasta with it! Can't wait to try it. At first I thought I couldn't do the peanut sauce–but it IS actually almond sauce! Yay! Thanks for another beautiful, delicious submission to the SOS Challenge. Love these raw noodles!

2. Posted November 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Oh, my, I just saw my published comment. Do you think I like exclamation marks???!!!!!! 😉

3. Posted November 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Great idea!

4. Posted November 21, 2010 at 5:24 am

Lisa – beautiful!!! I've never thought of doing sweet potato noodles before. It looks so colourful and bright, I love it!

5. Posted November 21, 2010 at 6:50 am

Clever "noodles"! Love this. Stupid question: I have a mandoline (used it once) — is that what you used?

6. Posted November 21, 2010 at 7:19 am

Ricki – sorry if that was confusing. I wrote peanut because that's the typical recipe. I hope this recipe will give you reason to break out the sprializer. And…I love !!!!!

Shellyfish – as soon as they announced the ingredient I started thinking about this recipe. I've never seen sweet potato noodles anywhere so I was pretty excited that it worked.

JL – You could use your mandoline to get thin strips of the potato and then just julienne them. The spiralizer just makes noodles.

7. Posted November 21, 2010 at 9:25 am

Lisa, this is amazing! I love the idea of sweet potato noodles. Was it difficult to get the cooking time right? I would imagine the noodles could easily fall apart if cooked too long.

I was tempted to buy a spiralizer at St. Lawrence Market a couple of weeks ago…now I regret not buying it!

8. Posted November 21, 2010 at 9:41 am

The noodles with peanut sauce sounds AMAZING! I asked Santa for a spiralizer…. Think he'll come through?

9. Posted November 21, 2010 at 11:37 am

That looks so delicious, I really need to get a spiraliser.

10. Posted November 21, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Glad to see you blanched it a bit. Raw undehydrated squash doesn't appeal to me. Nice entry to the challenge.

11. Posted November 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I love that spirooli! Can't justify owning one right now, but I adore those long, tangled noodles. Those recipes sound absolutely delectable: thanks for sharing.

love
    Ela

12. Posted November 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hey Nicole, I just tested the "noodles" at 3 and then 4 minutes – I'm sure they would fall apart if left in a few more minutes but mine never got to that point.

Deanna – you can totally make this dish with a vegetable peeler. But if you've been good maybe a spiralizer is in your future.

Bitt – I don't do raw potatoes!

Ela – you have to try it with a peeler. That's how I did my veg noodles in the past. Until I found a second-hand spiralizer.

13. KELLEY
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

tHIS SOUNDS PHENOMINAL

14. Posted September 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm

hello whats the name of that machine

• Posted September 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

It is called a spiralizer.