SOS Ginger and Garlic Granola

January 16th, 2011 · Lisa · Recipes, Savory, Snacks, sugar-free · Comments

Since you all enjoyed yesterday’s recipe for Thai Macaroons, I’m excited to share another savoury twist on a comfort-food classic. When coconut oil was selected (great choice Kim and Ricki!) as this month’s SOS Kitchen Challenge feature ingredient I started thinking about how I use it most. Given that we’re in the middle of January, my recent meals have been more focused on warm and comforting dishes than usual. Although I love to start my day with a creamy smoothie, or a bowl of overnight oats – I crave crunch.

That crispy, crunchy texture you get from baking grains coated in fat is undeniably satisfying. I find just a little spoonful of crunch added to a bowl of cereal, soup, or salad makes all the difference. I often add a little raw buckwheat granola to my morning smoothie or bowl of fruit. So, armed with a jar of coconut oil, I was ready to toss some oats in the oven.

But of course, everyone has a favourite go-to sweet granola recipe (if you don’t, let me know and I’ll post one soon). In order to really play with coconut oil and all it brings to both sweet and savoury dishes I thought we should think about granola has a “neutral” – ready for any flavour variations.

Can’t you just imagine a savoury parfait of baby arugula, cucumber, mango, cashew cheese and spicy, crunchy granola?

If you can’t imagine it… try harder.
It tastes amazing! I actually found myself snacking on it by the spoonful.

Although, I’ve plated it here, on top of a vegetable salad – it would work equally well in soups, a creamy noodle dish, or processed into a coating for tofu cubes. This granola garnish has a lot of potential.

Ginger and Garlic Granola
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup cashew pieces
2 tsp agave syrup
1 clove garlic, grated
1 TBSP grated ginger
juice and zest of 1 lime (approximately 1 TBSP)
pinch of cayenne
pinch of salt
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Spread evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. After the first 15 minutes check and stir the granola to make sure everything browns evenly. Check and stir every 10 minutes until the granola is done. Let it cool…if you can resist.
What do you think? Strange or sensational?

1. Posted January 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Definitely sensational! I could see it as a perfect sub for croutons on a creamy soup, for instance. Or over veggies or a gratin instead of breadcrumbs. Or, as you say, as-is for a snack. Wow! Fabulous recipe, Lisa! I am really loving all your SOS submissions this month–yay for coconut oil inspiration! 😀

2. Posted January 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I'd have to say sensational too. Especially the taste-picture you summoned up of the salad that it topped.

Coconut oil rules, and I love your savory takes on it. Too bad for me that I can't do oats, but I bet I could make it work with something else too. Love how creative you are with this!

3. Posted January 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm

SENSATIONAL! I love the way you cook, Lisa. THis is inspiring – I love the use of all the fresh flavors in your parfait. Fantastic! You are an SOS rockstar this month. xo

4. Posted January 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Sounds sensational to me!! I need to try this! Thanks for sharing 🙂

5. Posted January 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Wow – I never would have thought to put granola on a salad, but this sounds sensational. It sounds like a lovely flavourful crunchy topping… yum!

6. Posted January 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Sensational! You could just do it with nuts and seeds and no one would think it was weird at all – so why is it weird with some oats. 🙂

7. Posted January 16, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Such a great idea! I love making traditionally sweet things savory and vice versa…kind of a cooking trompe l'oeil 🙂 And your use looks extra beautiful with all that color!

8. Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Definitely amazing! Green curries with coconut are accepted as generally fantastic, so why not the flavours distilled into a crunchy little nugget of wonderment? I am so in, as the kids say these days 😉

9. Posted January 18, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love the idea of savoury granola! Fantastic recipe, Lisa.

10. Posted January 19, 2011 at 6:24 am

Yay sensational!

I appreciate all the support for my culinary risk-taking behaviours 😉

11. Posted January 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm

How interesting.I would have to give this a try.It looks really delicious,just the way you described it makes me want to make this soon.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

12. Posted January 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Okay, I've never seen nor heard of a savory granola before… But I love the concept! There are so many days when I crave a portable oat snack, but am all sugared out. I may just have to revisit this idea, and soon.

13. Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hannah – I'm sure you will come up with an incredibly creative twist on this concept.

14. Melissa
    Posted August 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm

how long does this keep?