SOS Kitchen Challenge: Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie

January 14th, 2011 · Lisa · Recipes, Snacks, sugar-free · Comments

Now that we are solidly into 2011, Kim and Ricki are back with another SOS Kitchen Challenge. This month, bloggers will be celebrating Coconut Oil‘s amazing versatility by creating and posting their favourite recipes (both sweet and savoury).

I love these challenges because they give me a reason to ruminate on my typical recipes and experiment with new combinations. This month, I kept my sweet entry quite simple – but I have two savoury recipes that are a real departure from my usual uses of coconut oil.

Without further adieu, I’d like to introduce you to the most incredible breakfast I’ve had in 2011. The coconut oil adds a rich texture that makes this smoothie a decadent treat.

Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 Medjool date
1 TBSP raisins
3 TBSP rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla seed powder (or a splash of extract)
3/4 cup almond milk
1 banana, peeled and frozen
About an hour before you’re ready to enjoy your smoothie add all of the ingredients to your blender (except the banana) and let them soften. I actually prep this before I go to bed and then just add the banana in the morning. Blend until smooth.
The result is a sweet, creamy smoothie that will sustain you for hours. I usual have breakfast at 5:30 am and then need a snack by 8:30 or 9:00. Not with this smoothie. It carries me right to lunch.
If you have a busy morning full of meetings or running errands than this smoothie would be the perfect way to fuel your day.
Yes, I like to eat my smoothies with a spoon. I’m a rare bird.
I have two more SOS Kitchen Challenge recipes to share with you this weekend. I hope you’ll swing back tomorrow for a savoury twist on a sweet confection.

1. Posted January 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

that looks soo good!

2. Posted January 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. Posted January 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm

This looks great! Much more appealing to me than the usual overnight oatmeal you see everywhere (and which I'm not a huge fan of).

4. Posted January 14, 2011 at 2:09 pm

That looks so good. If I had all the ingredients on hand I'd make it right now.

5. Posted January 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

If you eat it with a spoon, does that make it a pudding? :) It sounds delightful, though. Thanks for sharing!

6. Posted January 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Heavenly!!!

Pure2raw twins

7. Posted January 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm

You're not alone! I like to eat my smoothies with a spoon too. I may have to check out this sos challenge: coconut oil is probably my most important staple food!

I can't eat oats (although I might try gf ones and see if they like me) but my husband might enjoy this, although he's not a smoothie lover… Maybe I'll try it with sprouted quinoa sometime, it sounds so good to me!
    thanks!

8. Posted January 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm

What a fabulous smoothie, Lisa! Love the flavors here. And I, too, eat my smoothies with a spoon most mornings! I like to make them extra-thick so they're almost like puddings. Oatmeal cookie flavored pudding/smoothie sounds like the perfect breakfast to me. Thanks for an incredible entry! (And I can't wait to see your savory options). 😀

9. Posted January 14, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I want to try this tomorrow morning!! Thanks for the recipe.

10. Posted January 16, 2011 at 2:24 am

Looks & sounds so great! I miss coconut oil, you can do so much with it! (I haven't found any since we moved to the countryside.)
    With a spoon? Interesting!

11. Posted January 16, 2011 at 8:28 am

Wow. Thank you so much for posting this Lisa, I am drinking it RIGHT NOW and it is DELICIOUS. It really does taste like drinking cookie dough. Mmmm. I can see this quickly becoming a staple morning meal. :)

12. Posted January 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh yeah! Oatmeal cookie flavor combined with a smoothie? Girl, you just made my mouth water. Thanks for such a great submission for the SOS!

13. Posted January 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

That looks delicious! I love creamy thick smoothies with unique ingredients, I bet it would also be delicious with some sun warrior for a protein boost?

14. Posted January 19, 2011 at 6:21 am

I really hope some of you, like Barbi have tried this recipe. It is so comforting and incredibly filling.

Janet – I just like the act of eating it slowly with a spoon.

Ela – let me know if you try it with quinoa flakes.

Ricki – I love SOS!

Brittany – I saw on your blog that you tried the recipe. I'm so glad you loved it.

Shellyfish – sounds like you're due for a visit to North America. Toronto in particular.

Barbi – I do home it become a regular morning treat.

Marni – I don't have any sunwarrior but I bet it would be a great addition.

Kim – Thank you for SOS!