Sweet and Spicy Snacks

January 26th, 2011 · Lisa · gluten-free, raw, Recipes, Snacks, sugar-free · Comments

If you’ve been following along this week, we’ve talked about energy bowls full of quinoa, chia and oats and breakfasts for dinner scrambles and crepes. Today, in response to Hazel’s request for hearty, healthy fare to fuel her evening yoga class, I’d like to share some snack ideas that will help to keep your energy levels up throughout the day.

First up, roasted chickpeas. Now, I know that beans are not always easy on our digestive tract. So, don’t eat a pile of these right before yoga class. Instead, add a few to a salad a couple of hours before you workout or enjoy them right after yoga class to help your body repair and build muscle.

Roasted Chickpeas
2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 tsp oil (olive, coconut, etc.)
2 tsp tamari
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
pinch cayenne
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add all of the ingredients to the baking sheet and toss to coat the chickpeas. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until the chickpeas are crunchy and all of the liquid is absorbed.
Roasted chickpeas are a fantastic snack and a great addition to a big green salad. You can mix up the spice mix – add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme…etc.
Okay, since I threatened your perfect pre-yoga digestion with the bean suggestion, let me offer these great, ginger-laden snacks to promote happy tummies everywhere.
Lemon Ginger Smoothie
1/2 a lemon, peeled
1 banana (frozen is best)
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
1 medjool date
water (1/2 to 1 cup depending on your preference)
Blend!
This is my favourite sweet smoothie. In case the lemon intimidates you, feel free to swap in half an orange instead.
Lemon-Ginger-Cashew Balls (inspired by Ashley’s recipe)
1 cup cashews
10 medjool dates
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
2 tsp lemon zest
2 TBSP lemon juice
pinch of salt
In a food processor, grind the cashews. Transfer the cashews into a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in your food processor and process until the dates are in very small pieces. Add the cashew back into the mix and pulse until combined. Roll the mixture into 10 balls.

These little, lemon-ginger gems are the perfect, portable treat to have on hand just in case you need a little boost in the late afternoon. They are sweet and spicy, with just enough fat to sustain your energy levels for a couple of hours.

I liked them so much, I had to share. So, I packed up a bunch, along with my favourite raw macaroons (I’ll share that recipe soon) for a Toronto blogger’s meet-up I attended on the weekend. Morgan, pulled together another fantastic gathering at a local vegetarian restaurant. There was quite a turn-out.
Morgan, Therese, Danielle, Preena, Angela, Claire, Lily, Callie, Kristin, Tracy, Candice, Susan, Samantha, Nancy, Sara (and Meghan who had to run off before the picture to prepare for hosting a retreat in St. Lucia).
I know the beauty of this group is obvious, but what is really inspiring is the passionate lives they each lead. They are all driven individuals, totally engaged in their world. I really enjoyed being in the room, soaking up all the positive energy.
It was a very cold day, but I left all-a-glow.

1. Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:58 am

You changed your blog name!

Wow what a beautiful group of ladies! You are such a cutie Lisa :)

Those lemon ginger balls are calling my name! I actually think I have all the ingredients here!

2. Posted January 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

And I absolutely devoured those that very afternoon! One on the bus going home from the meet-up and one directly after a grueling circuit training session I did when I got home! They were amazing!! It was so great seeing you again!

3. Posted January 26, 2011 at 11:17 am

Lisa, when is YOUR cookbook coming out. I can't wait. I want to have all of your inspiring and delicious recipes right at hand in my kitchen. The Lemon Ginger Smoothie sounds so refreshing.

I like the new blog name. I love your cookbook reviews, but this blog of yours is about so much more. Love it.

4. Posted January 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

found you via the great balancing act blog. your recipes look great! roasted chickpeas are one of my faves : )

i just posted a vegan recipe for black bean cakes if you want to check it out http://www.cailenascher.blogspot.com

great blog…will definitely be back again soon!

5. Posted January 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm

What a fun blogger group to meet. I need to go read all their blogs now.

You lemon balls look really good. I love lemon desserts.

6. Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:09 pm

What a beautiful bunch of ladies! And what a great, eclectic selection of snacks you're sharing.

Lemon-ginger is great in this weather especially… and smoked paprika-big thumbs up!

7. Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I like the new blog name too!

And the look of those chickpeas and cashew balls.

8. Posted January 26, 2011 at 7:31 pm

This week's posts are bringing such happiness to me. I have started 2011 under a cloud of gloom, and these new recipes are giving me much of what I need to turn my energy around! :-)

9. Posted January 27, 2011 at 5:59 am

Christy – hope you tried the lemon ginger balls. They would go well with all the rich Thai curries you're cooking up.

Therese- thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the treats. We have to get together again soon.

Mindy- what a sweet comment. I am heading off to chef training but I don't have any cookbook plans…yet. I'm really glad you like the new name.

cailen- so glad you stumbled upon my blog. Your black bean cakes sound amazing.

Bitt- it would have been even better if you had been at the meet-up.

Ela- we are such great flavour friends!

Thank you Amber!

Nancy – I'm glad you've enjoyed the posts. We have to get together soon.

10. Posted January 27, 2011 at 7:47 am

Mm, so many tasty options, I don't know what I would reach for first! That smoothie sounds like the perfect thing to sooth a turbulent stomach though, and since I'm stressed to the max and feeling it in my gut, that definitely does sound appealing.

11. Posted January 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

12. Posted January 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Looks like a fun and lovely meetup! And everything looks so good! I could use some of the chickpeas. :)

13. Posted January 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

The raw truffles were amazing! You will make the best raw chef…when's YOUR cookbook coming out?? :)

14. Posted January 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Everything sounds great, but I *really* love the sound of those lemon-ginger balls! And what a great meetup–such a stunning group of bloggers! It must have been a blast. :)

15. Posted January 29, 2011 at 5:10 am

I love that you made roasted chickpeas (as I made them only 2 days ago as well!)

16. Posted February 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

The lemon ginger balls were devine! I replaced the powdered ginger with 1/2tsp. of fresh grated ginger. So Yummy!

17. Posted February 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

Absolutely loved the Lemon Ginger Cashew balls. Used fresh ginger instead of powdered. Amazing!

18. Posted February 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Your Lemon-Cashew balls were so delicious and thank you for posting the recipe (and for sharing those treats)! I keep these raw snacks in my purse for whenever I need a healthy snack and I'm all out.

Roasted chickpeas, great idea for a salad garnish.

19. Posted February 4, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Lemon Cashew thingys are the bomb plan and simple goooood!!!!! and vegan too try it