Good and Green for St. Patrick’s Day

March 17th, 2012 · Lisa · gluten-free, nut-free, raw, Recipes, Savory, sugar-free, Uncategorized · Comments
You’re busy…I’m busy…so let’s cut right to the chase.Eat your greens.Find a way to make a good helping of greens a part of your day. You can toss them into your morning smoothie, stir them into a spicy curry or make them the base of a spectacular salad.

But don’t stop there. Get creative. Try different leafy greens. Learn ways to love their flavour and their texture. As much as I adore kale I leave space in my heart and my diet for spinach, collards, sprouts, cilantro, chard, watercress, arugula….etc.

In honour of the one day a year where everyone seems to be sure to consume something green, I’ve created a special wrap for you to double your dose and help balance out some of the other popular activities enjoyed on this festive holiday.

The Dublin Double Double*
2 cups baby spinach
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
2 zucchini, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 TBSP psyllium husks

Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth. On a teflex-lined dehydrator tray spread a 1/4 cup of the batter into a circle (about 1/8 inch thick). Repeat to create 8-9 wraps. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 5-6 hours. Flip the wraps in the last hour to ensure both sides get dry.

Fill with your favourites. In the photo above:

Avocado mashed with salt

Shredded beets

Baby spinach

Enjoy!

*This is in no way a traditional Irish dish. But it is green and that seems to be good enough for St. Patrick’s Day fare. Double Double refers to the avocado and spinach in the wrap and the filling.

1. Posted June 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm

These look fantastic!  I’m planning to get a dehydrator soon, so I’ll try these for sure. Right now I’m experimenting with just using collard greens as wraps.

2. Lynette
    Posted June 6, 2012 at 1:12 am

Wow, these wraps look fantastic!. I am a beginner to raw eating, and I was wondering how any extra wraps made should be stored for future eating? Also, approximately how long will they keep? Thank you very much!

• theveganlisa
      Posted June 6, 2012 at 6:49 am

Hi Lynette – once these are dry they last quite a while. I freeze them and then just defrost in the fridge as needed. In the fridge they last well about a week in the freezer a couple of months for sure. I hope you enjoy them.

3. Jamiedokuo
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Is there 1/4 cup of water and 1 Tbsp lemon juice?

• theveganlisa
      Posted July 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Yup, I’ll just fix that right up. Thanks for noticing!

4. Tanya
    Posted October 7, 2016 at 10:22 pm

what can psyllium husks be substituted with? I want to make this now and it’s the only ingredient I don’t have! 🙂
    Thank yoU!

• Lisa
      Posted October 29, 2016 at 10:24 am

I’m sorry, I just saw your post so obviously my response is too late. Psyllium is a unique ingredient. I haven’t tried replacing it in this recipe. Flax has worked in other similar recipes but I haven’t tried it in this one specifically.