Vegan in London

November 24th, 2012 · Lisa · Fun with Friends, Travel · Comments

It has been a while since we’ve chatted. I’ve let me new job, my new (temporary, but permanently amazing) roommate, and my everyday existence distract me.

But let me make it up to you…how about a trip. London?

I knew you’d be game…

We’ll catch the red-eye, do crossword puzzles as they board. As we cross the Atlantic I’ll regale you with tales from my modern western civilization class in high school – just to make sure you get a good rest and dream about epic European exploits.

When we arrive in London, the sky will be gray but we will be glowing. An eight hour flight can do nothing to squelch our zest for adventure.

We’ll visit my friend Mark in Berkhampsted, where the cobblestone streets lead to a fantastic vegan restaurant (Dar Papillon). We’ll feast on pizza (covered in corn and asparagus), pakoras and samosas, a big bowl of salad and anything else your heart desires.

Later, when we’re feeling refreshed (perhaps the next day) we’ll hop on the tube and head into the city. We’ll wander by the Thames, taking in the major landmarks and laughing with gratitude at our glorious wanderlust.

We’ll spot a Pret A Manager, and stop in for some liquid energy and sustenance.

When the rain catches us by surprise, we’ll slip into the British Museum to gaze with wonderment at the handwritten lyrics by the Beatles, Jane Austen’s writing desk and James Joyce’s personal notebook.

We’ll take the tube to Camden Markets to get lost in the aisles of endless stalls. When our hunger becomes undeniable, we’ll pop into inSpiral lounge. We will be overwhelmed by the amazing array of raw, vegan options. We’ll find the desserts, in particular, incredibly enticing.

But given this is rainy London, we’ll settle for a warming bowl of butternut squash soup. It will be perfect.

Before catching the tube back to Berkhampstead for a quiet evening, cuddled under blankets by the fire with episodes of Downton Abbey, we’ll make our way to Kensington. The Whole Foods Market will delight us with vegan decadence – row after row of amazing truffle and marshmallow flavours (all free of animal anything!). We’ll stop in upstairs at Saf for an incredible meal, artistically prepared. We’ll savour every. single. bite.

Then as we head back to the station we’ll wander in and out of the shops, coveting scarves with birds and anything with the union jack.

As we navigate through the parks and paths, I’ll listen to your dreams. We’ll get quiet and reflective as the route, like our lives takes unexpected detours. But together we’ll giggle, photobomb our fellow visitors and reassert our control over the path we follow.

Because…finding ourselves in London means we’ve done something right. Right?

But don’t get settled just yet…we have a train to Paris in the morning. xo

p.s. Christine, thank you for sharing so many wonderful pictures from our trip.

1. Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh, I just love London. I have to live there someday. Wanderlust is right.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm

When you live there, I will come to visit and we’ll wander the aisles at Whole Foods together before enjoying a relaxing meal at Saf. It will be glorious.

• Posted November 26, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yes. Yes. Yes. That sounds like the perfect day!

2. Lauren (PB&G)
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

I adore London! I would love to return someday to try inSpiral. I didn’t get a chance when we were at the Camden Markets, but we did try some sweets from Cookies and Scream. So good.. mmm!

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Cookies and Scream is such a fantastic name. I hope you do get back to London some day soon. I love wandering the streets and thinking of the history they’ve seen.

3. Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Reading this is like reading a swirling dream that feels like coziness, comfort, and adventure all at once. Beautiful, my darling.

And thank you for your lovely words.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

My lovely, lovely, Hannah. Just wait, when the winter weather sets in we’ll find a way to whisk each other off for adventures in warmer climes. The tales we’ll tell upon our return will be equally swirly and beautiful.

4. coconutandberries
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Yay! London time! I’m actually from London so it’s fun to see you visiting all the familiar-to-me places 🙂 My friend used to work at inSpiral so I’d go there regularly and can definitely vouch for their desserts! The park still looks very green so I guess you must have been a while ago? Bare trees now and very wintry…Look forward to seeing what you got up to in Paris.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I would love to have a friend who works at inSpiral! It is such a lovely little spot. My trip to London was actually in early October, I came back to VeganMoFo and have struggled to get caught up since. I’m glad I got to take you back in time to some warmer weather and greener pastures. 🙂

5. Marta Brysha
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

It’s been some 20 years or more (yikes!) since I was in London, and sadly, back then there were no vegan eating places such as the spiral lounge (although there was an incredible vegetarian south indian restaurant in Stoke Newington). Thanks for the trip back through familiar but distant (in time and kms) places.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

The last time I was in London was about a decade ago and the vegan options have certainly improved – but back then I could always be assured to find some delicious vegan curry. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post.

6. Mom
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Wonderful photos! I hope to get there again someday…

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thank you Mom, I hope you get to make trip soon. xo

7. Posted November 25, 2012 at 12:34 am

Having returned from the UK about 6 weeks ago, this was a very, very welcome post 🙂