I love October. Where I live October is vibrant and colourful and full of richer flavours, bold spices and the brilliance of harvesting the bounty of our local growing season.
So it seems the perfect time to be celebrating Heather Crosby’s beautiful book. Heather is the creator of Yum Universe the online destination for all things whole foods and plant-based. Just like the eBooks and the amazing community Heather created and supports online, her first book is a one-stop source for all the information, encouragement, joyful enthusiasm and practical tips anyone taking steps toward a healthier, more nourishing lifestyle could ask for.
Quite seriously, she’s thought of everything. And of course because this book comes from the Heather Crosby it is stunning, and organized, and accessible, and inspiring, and vibrant, and flavourful and…brilliant.
In the pages of Yum Universe, Heather does what’s she’s always done best, she breaks down the how-to into helpful, exciting, easy-to-manage steps. I can’t think of a single question I’ve been asked over the past 30 years that I’ve been vegan that Heather hasn’t tackled in the first 150 pages of her book. Making Yum Universe much more than a typical cookbook, it is your answer everything, find something delicious, and make it quick and fun, solution to life.
I know that sounds a bit unbelievable, so let me show you what I mean:
- She talks from heart about her own journey from a salad avoider to a full embracer of a plant-powerful, whole-food lifestyle.
- She answers all the “whys” with powerful details about how eating animals effects our wellbeing and that of the planet.
- She highlights the information and insights that shifted her own perspective toward understanding the connection between disease and diet.
- She not only lays out all of the facts but she creates a plan, a day-by-day strategy for success.
- She gives you all the information you need to create a joyful, fulling, delicious plant-plentiful life. Plus she does it with this infections enthusiasm that makes her love for whole foods contagious. The photos in the book highlight how attracted we are to bright, colourful fruits and vegetables.
When you pick up your copy of Yum Universe, I’m sure you’ll find your own favourite pages but here are some of my personal picks. Since I’m a soul that love lists I found myself bookmarking pages like:
- Build your own On-the-Go Salads (pg.90)
- Build your own On-the-Go Breakfasts (pg 91)
- Soaking times for nuts, seeds, and beans (pg.140)
- Freezability of fruits and veggies
- Yields and cook times for beans and grains
Oh and…it is also has over 130 pages full of recipes and meal ideas. I’ll show you what I’ve made so far, but first memorize this cover and either run to the store to pick up your copy, order it online, or scroll to the end to WIN ONE!
This is how I know Heather and I are soul sisters because she writes lots of recipes for chickpeas (my very favourite bean). These Crispy Chickpeas make it easy to enjoy these protein-packed staples out-of-hand, on top of salads and as a crunchy boost to big bowls of soup. So simple and so good.
Chickpea Flatbread with Greens and Avocado
Yup, see chickpeas again but this time as the main attraction. This accessible gluten-free flatbread take no special skills other than stirring and pouring but it comes out impressive enough for a dinner party or a fancy brunch. Heather provides lots of topping variations but I went with the one that called to me first – green and avocado. Delicious.
Orange & Pepita Granola
Here we are at the sneak peek recipe I can’t wait to share, a fall-inspired breakfast treat. It is sweet and crunchy and delicately infused with orange essence. A healthy way to start your day or a hearty snack to take with you on the go.
I combined it with persimmon and coconut yogurt for a wonderful weekend parfait.
Thanks to Heather and BenBella Books, I’m thrilled to offer all of my US and Canadian readers a chance to win a copy of Yum Universe. A random winner will be selected on October 28th, 2014. For your chance to win, leave a comment below letting me know one tip that has helped you to eat and enjoy more whole foods.
Congratulations to Corrine who won her very own copy of Yum Universe.